BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front wheel drive

More
19 Jul 2018 08:40 #194452 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Front wheel drive
There is no issue with using 4wd at high speeds, so I don't see why using just FWD at high speeds would be any different. The instructions on the sun visor say speed must be below 60mph to engage 4wd, which is a clear indication that it is OK to use use 4wd at 60mph.
Being able to hold you hand on the diff at all suggests it is at a very normal operating temperature.
It's great to have the FWD option to fall back on in emergencies. I don't think a primarily FWD Jimny would be a good idea though. The live axle prohibits the subtle steering geometry changes needed to make FWD work well.

Lambert, have you driven a well sorted FWD hatchback like a 106 Rallye or GTI? They are very playful and adjustable on the limit. Flawed perhaps, but fantastic fun and capable of carrying a lot of speed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2018 09:03 #194453 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Front wheel drive
If you think about it, all part-time 4WD vehicles are RWD in 2WD mode.
The only exception (as far as I know) is Fiat Panda 4x4 Mk1 which is FWD in 2WD mode, but it is not an all-terrain vehicle primary design, but a city car primary design.

I've been wondering why is that so. I mean, why are all old part-time 4WD Land Rovers, Pajeros, Wranglers, Land Cruisers, Patrols, Cherokees, Samurais, Fourtraks, etc. etc. RWD instead FWD in 2WD mode?
What is the reason for such an universal design preference for RWD in all part-time all terrain vehicles?

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2018 09:09 #194455 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:Front wheel drive
The Nissan Quasqai is 2WD when not in 4WD, and i think my Grand Vitara is also?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2018 09:23 #194457 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front wheel drive

Busta wrote: Lambert, have you driven a well sorted FWD hatchback like a 106 Rallye or GTI? They are very playful and adjustable on the limit. Flawed perhaps, but fantastic fun and capable of carrying a lot of speed.

I have, including an Integra type r and even a lotus elan on an airfield day. Don't get me wrong I wasn't at any point wondering if I had left the gas on at home but for "precision" driving I have always been happier in rwd or awd and that filters into everyday driving at commuting speeds, i just know that if I had to lean on a fwd for whatever reason it's just not quite right. Sorry.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2018 10:13 #194459 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front wheel drive

Bosanek wrote: If you think about it, all part-time 4WD vehicles are RWD in 2WD mode.
The only exception (as far as I know) is Fiat Panda 4x4 Mk1 which is FWD in 2WD mode, but it is not an all-terrain vehicle primary design, but a city car primary design.

I've been wondering why is that so. I mean, why are all old part-time 4WD Land Rovers, Pajeros, Wranglers, Land Cruisers, Patrols, Cherokees, Samurais, Fourtraks, etc. etc. RWD instead FWD in 2WD mode?
What is the reason for such an universal design preference for RWD in all part-time all terrain vehicles?

Primarily this is to give better carried load and towing character. Carrying and towing both put loading onto the rear axle while simultaneously reducing the load on the front. With fwd this takes away traction with rwd it adds traction. Think putting a concrete paving slab in the boot of an old bmw in winter to keep traction in snow.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Jul 2018 11:38 #194464 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Front wheel drive
It's also because the rear live axle is much simpler and more durable. No CVs to wear out, no effect on steering to consider etc. The reason most modern cars are FWD is because it is cheap and easier to package into a car where, unlike a 4x4, the drive train isn't the main design consideration. This also applies to SUVs like the Quashqai. They are essentially FWD cars with rear wheel assist. The components used aren't anywhere near as durable as a traditional 4x4 like the Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds