BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Manual hub advice please.

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 18:45 #189930 by NineCherries
Manual hub advice please. was created by NineCherries
I’ve spent the last week with temperamental 4wd on my beastie.

Note in advance :- I’ve read the wiki guide and done a bit of searching. This is a post to ensure I am understanding the system properly and to allow me to make an informed decision.
Btw I have a facelift 2008 model with the push button selector.

Ive found it a bit frustrating but managed nonetheless (still love my car) as I’ve been struck down with the flashing green 4wd light. On inspection I found a split hose on the near side hub. Replaced it with another bit of vacuum hose I had and it cured the light (but only for a short while it seams, I’ll explain in a minute).

occasionally I get 4wd, other times it thinks I have 4wd (when I don’t) and sometimes I still get the flashy light. :(

When it thinks I have 4wd and I know I don’t, if I unbolt the freehub the locking gear seams to be sitting just behind the locking hub but not engaged, if I manually engage it and reinstall the freehub I have fully functioning 4wd that will disengage normally when I hit the 2wd button. BUT I have no confidence in it going back into 4wd.

If I try to get 4wd and get the flashy light. If I turn on dash electrics, and press the 2wd button (this can take several attempts To work) I can hear a whir and the system resets and the light goes out.

Now that’s the preamble over with.

I presume I still have a leak on the vacuum circuit somewhere on the “engage hub” side of the hose/pipe work circuit.

I also presume the partially engaged issue is due to not enough vacuum “suck” to engage the hub.

I guess this is why people choose manual hubs.

I like the idea of repairing the original system but I appreciate a lot of you will say forget about it and go manual but I can pick up the metal axle pipe work on eBay for £40 odd, manual hubs are £100ish or £150ish for avm.

Is this because the original system is fragile? Or because it could become an expensive of trial and error to get back to full working order?

I’m interested in both sides of the argument from anyone who has kept and repaired the standard system and these who ditched it.

One last thing. If I get manual hubs is there anything wrong with the cheaper ones on eBay? Has anyone bought this type

It says Jimny up to 98. I’m sure my 2008 has a 26 splines at drive shaft hub end.
Is there a difference?

Sorry for the long post on a subject that has been spoken about before but I need to satisfy my curiosity before I commit to whatever repair path I choose.

Thanks in advance
Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 19:27 #189936 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic Manual hub advice please.
Will follow this thread with interest because I've often wondered why people would chose to go for manually locking hubs rather than repairing the original system. Personally I hate the idea of manually locking hubs it sounds like such a chore!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
04 Mar 2018 20:02 #189939 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Manual hub advice please.
Just simplicity of use for me.
Engage them when you get to the start of the days outing and use the t-box to go in/out of 4x4 as needed. Lots of rusty pipes made it expensive to replace the lot, so manual it was.
Think they are from Raptor 4x4, cost me £99 delivered, but i did have one go wrong (which they sent an advance replacement part for thankfully), and the chrome covers you see are plastic, not metal as they look in the pics. AVM are the best, but obviously the price/quality reflects that.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

More
04 Mar 2018 22:30 #189943 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Manual hub advice please.

Young Pretender wrote: I've often wondered why people would chose to go for manually locking hub

Here is my take on your thinking.
It is only a slight chore and even then only if you want the front freewheeling part of the time.
I find myself responding to this issue a good number of times. Personally I wish Suzuki had continued with manual hubs after they dropped the SJ. I suppose having to rely on engine suck to give me 4WD is something I didn't take to - reminds me of vacuum wipers on cars I had years ago - so I decided to go back to that certainty I had had with my SJ when my Jimny's system began to fail

Once done I never ever gave a thought to the 4WD, it was always there waiting for me to stick the lever into 4H.

Something not often mentioned that personally I consider worthwhile is that with the hubs left engaged the front diff gears get a good oiling.

It makes me wonder how many Jimnys out there have a failed system and peeps don't know because they rarely use four wheel drive. At least if manual hubs were factory fitted those folks would not find out the hard way when it was too late like buried in sand drifts or snow

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
04 Mar 2018 23:22 #189945 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Manual hub advice please.
It does indeed sound like you have a small leak. It is most likely a pipe rusted or perished but may also be due to the seals in the hub itself. Either way, I've always considered the vacuum system worth fixing. It's not complicated and I think the more you use it the more reliable it is (based on the fact I'm in and out of 4wd all the time and I've never had an issue). If my vacuum system failed catastrophically I'd permanently lock the vacuum hubs and leave them like that.

More
04 Mar 2018 23:31 #189946 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Manual hub advice please.

Busta wrote: Either way, I've always considered the vacuum system worth fixing.

I think an important point to note with the Jimny 4x4 is that it cannot be used in the "dry" and so many many do not get to use it at all. If there is a rusted pipe I don't think using it regularly would stop that particularly. I agree with you though, if I had my time again I would not bother with manual hubs, I'd opt for fixed and be done with it.
Another point is that if you keep the vehicle for 25 to 30 years will you need to repair it more than once or even more than twice.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2018 01:20 #189947 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:Manual hub advice please.
I boobed on my price for the pipework, looks like it’s £168!!!! That’s crazy for a bent pipe. The £40 is for another small section. What’s to stop it being replicated from brake pipe or replaced with silicon vacuum hose completely (with some T pieces)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Mar 2018 05:50 #189949 by Lambert
When the vacuum system died on Ermintrude it wasn't the pipes but one of the solenoid valves that had had enough. The repair would have been the same cost as the conversion to manual. I didn't want to be having to re repair the vacuum system at some later stage so I went fully mechanical, greater piece of mind and not really any more of a chore because I have to get out of the car to open a gate so 2 seconds to set the hubs is nothing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Mar 2018 07:33 #189950 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Manual hub advice please.

NineCherries wrote: I boobed on my price for the pipework, looks like it’s £168!!!! That’s crazy for a bent pipe. The £40 is for another small section. What’s to stop it being replicated from brake pipe or replaced with silicon vacuum hose completely (with some T pieces)?

Nothing to stop you replacing it with any hose, so long as it can withstand a vacuum of about -10psi. People also use copper brake pipe for the rigid bits. All cheap and easy!

More
05 Mar 2018 07:33 #189951 by j999pre
The hubs pictured need spacers to fit a Jimny.

I have a pair of the type Riccy mentioned for sale brand new.

Vacuum leak can also be a bad wheel bearing.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2018 08:23 #189953 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic Re:Manual hub advice please.
Am I misunderstanding manually locking hubs?

I had thought that to engage 4wd or revert to 2wd you had to get out of the car every time although reading some of the comments I may have misunderstood.

Can you still move between 4wd and 2wd from inside the car?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Mar 2018 08:26 #189954 by Lambert
Yes. Transfer between them in the car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Young Pretender

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds