BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4wd issues after MOT work

More
28 Feb 2018 20:39 #189772 by Pixie
Replied by Pixie on topic 4wd issues after MOT work
Well we're moving anyway, so it's the last time we'll be using them :)

It's obviously just another case of garage overcharging. Unless you have the skills, space and time you're kind of beholden to them. My husband has the first two but not the latter, unfortunately. I've been charged over £400 for bearings alone before. The hourly rate they charge I'm in the wrong job...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2018 21:38 #189774 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:4wd issues after MOT work
Im in that job, in the end of the day its not much left of the hourly rate im afraid when everything is paid. You get what you pay for in most cases, i dont think 800£ is too much for this job. Remember you also get warranty in that price, so this is something the shop should fix right away(atleast thats how we operate).

More
28 Feb 2018 21:51 #189775 by Pixie
Replied by Pixie on topic Re:4wd issues after MOT work
Yeah it's pretty obvious it's something to do with the work they did otherwise It's a hell of a coincidence, so I'm hoping the fix is free, as you say. They're usually pretty good actually, and even hunted down and fixed an annoying squeak foc when it was in.

More
28 Feb 2018 21:52 #189776 by Johnniehec
The Oily substance round the inside of the wheel is a symptom of king pin bearing and inner axle oil seal failure. Would have expected that before they replaced them not after, unless they just didn't clean it up after they did the job which is a bit shoddy.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pixie

More
28 Feb 2018 21:55 #189777 by Pixie
Perhaps a duff new oil seal then? New parts do fail I guess? If it was just not cleaning up after themselves the 4wd would be working surely.

More
28 Feb 2018 22:11 #189778 by Johnniehec
How long/how many miles since the King pins were done? The oil has to make it's way past the inner seal, out of the axle tube, through the (hopefully new) grease in the swivel and out past the dust seal so wouldn't expect to see that for quite a few hundred, maybe a thousand miles after replacement. The king pin bearings or inner seal condition has no effect on the auto hubs working or not. Looks like they've jus not been put back together , (rubber pipes already mentioned) or over greased, when the components were taken apart to replace the King pins etc.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
28 Feb 2018 22:49 #189780 by Pixie
30th Jan the work was done and I've only done 100/200 miles since, if that. Husband says the pipes are attached, so I didn't know If something might be split/leaking

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Mar 2018 04:55 #189785 by Lambert
Sounds like the pipes might be on backwards on one or both hubs. They're just a push fit so easy enough to swap.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Mar 2018 11:23 #189794 by Pixie
Thanks everyone. Just got back from the garage and all the pipes are attached and in the right place. The oil isn't axle oil, but from where they stuffed plenty in during the work. From discussion I have booked it in next week for them to troubleshoot the vacuum system to the hubs as they're stupidly busy today. Said it should be easy to trace. I'm hoping a perished tube or something simple. Thanks for all your ideas :)

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2018 13:02 #189797 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Re:4wd issues after MOT work
For a start this garage needs to be ashamed of their sloppy work. Not testing everything that has been disturbed is a sin for a start. Not cleaning the mess is another. Unprofessional to say the least. And there is no way you should have to pay them anything as it was working when you asked them to carry out the work and you expect when they give it back to you that it still worked, so down to them, no questions. All work carried out, by law, has a 3 months warranty. So that's is what you stand by. And you should not have to wait for them to fix it either.

More
03 Mar 2018 23:02 #189909 by Basketcase
Wow....the Suzuki dealer I used to work at didn’t charge £800 for a MOT and kingpin bearings that is seriously expensive!! Unless you live in the centre of London I suppose! How anywhere can charge that price for parts alone is beyond me! That garage needs closing down if they can’t do that right, my girlfriend managed to do ours and she had never changed a wheel before. All she had was my socket set and the big Jimny how to guide! Really hope you get it fixed after their obvious cock up!

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds