BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Cheap mud tyre recommendation.

More
19 Feb 2018 22:47 #189493 by yakuza
I might add to this that my nexen MT was awful and dangerous but my BFG Muds are quite good.

Also remember that 4x4 cars should have more slippy tires than road cars so they slide instead of toppling over.

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Feb 2018 05:09 #189503 by Lambert
Tosh. Ermintrude is on the suv equivalent of super sticky racing slicks and doesn't even begin to fall over cornering at anything like legal speeds.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Feb 2018 14:26 #189568 by Bosanek
Well it might be that very good quality MT tyres (like BFGoodrich or similar) might be solid on wet and snowy roads (of course never on par with a proper on road tyre).

However I have been a passenger a few times in all-terrain vehicles with MT tyres (usually powerful Land Cruisers, Cherokees, etc.) and they skidded around like on skis when on wet and on packed snow.

Maybe it's a combination of their massive power and heavy feet of their drivers. But whatever it is I got a sure impression that MT tyres don't fare well when the situation gets opposite of rough (i.e. too "smooth"). The Cherokee with MTs had big trouble going up a moderately graded snowy street in the city while another Cherokee just passed by on limousine tyres.

More
22 Feb 2018 23:14 - 22 Feb 2018 23:47 #189636 by Scimike
I dont understand why we expect MT tyres to perform like road tyres on wet roads, how can we compare?
Lets exclude snow or ice from the offset, even super sticky road tyres will slip and slide in the snow, so why are MT's any worse in similar conditions.
You are in control of the speed of the vehicle and should drive according to the conditions and the performance of the vehicle. I have MT remoulds (even worse to some) fitted to my Land Rover series 2 and its never slipped, skidded or attempted to kill me since I fitted them. I drive it within its ability and the queue behind can just wait :laugh:
Off road (or on snow / ice ) the tyres are unstoppable, the grip is better than any road tyre.
I would happily fit MT tyres to my Jimny and drive it accordingly (slower), its no faster than my Series in acceleration or top speed, so I am not expecting any MT's to be a performance tyre on wet roads, why would you?

Of course just my humble opion, and in no way based on any real experience of a Jimny on anything other than the standard OEM road tyre (which are also evil apparently ) :woohoo:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Feb 2018 23:47 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Feb 2018 05:27 #189638 by Lambert
Precisely. I am in a minority in that I want to make mine into a hot hatch not a tractor. Consequently I have tyres that allow for very predictable road manners at the cost of not really being at all capable in anything worse than a grassy field. It is exactly the opposite compromise to mud tyres. They're good in a swamp but less predictable on tarmac. Adjustments of the driving style to compensate for the compromise are not difficult.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Feb 2018 07:53 #189639 by helijohn

Bosanek wrote: The Cherokee with MTs had big trouble going up a moderately graded snowy street in the city while another Cherokee just passed by on limousine tyres.

My Cherokee was lethal in anything but dry roads. It was the main reason I got rid of it. I have driven many fourbies in all sorts of conditions on all sorts of tyres and have learned to drive according to the vehicle but the Cherokee was lethal.

Ultimately on ice and similar braking is the problem no matter what the tyres are. I don't worry too much about going but I do worry about stopping. I drive my Pajero like a juggernaut at sea particularly in the wet, I suppose because of its 2 ton weight and rear wheel drive, but I drive my Celerio in a much more livelier manner.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Garrihy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2018 14:15 #189708 by Garrihy
Replied by Garrihy on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
Look up facebook lad i got mine for £42 a corner . And i find them alright on the road not as good as road tyre but thats to be expected with a mud pattern
www.facebook.com/Mudslingerz-4x4-and-Off...es-1788284424824162/

More
26 Feb 2018 22:23 #189718 by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
I went for Insa Turbo Dakar and they seem ok baring in mind its a Jimny not a Jag.
AS an aside I did have some Event MI698 on the rear axil which had not been on for more than 2 months and yet had several punctures from thorns.
bryn

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2018 22:38 #189719 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
I've got recip MTs which are reasonably good all round. I swapped back to road tyres this winter because I wasn't convinced that these MTs performed well on certain untreated country roads on a frosty morning but having done so I wasn't convinced that my choice in road trypes were any better so I'm back on the recips. I think you just drive accordingly

• Garrihy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2018 22:41 #189720 by Garrihy
Replied by Garrihy on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
Mine would be the same pattern as the Dakar just not as pricey made by kingpin i think it is

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds