BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny recovery/tow plates template

• florinelu07
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 12:00 #188935 by florinelu07
Jimny recovery/tow plates template was created by florinelu07
Hi

Does anyone has some metal plates needed to strengthen Jimny's OEM tow points?
I would need a scan (1:1) of the piece to create the template for the CNC cutter from a steel plate.

Any kind of template, schematic would do the job, or else I'll have to start creating dummy plates from scratch by using some cardboard.

Many thank in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 19:18 #188954 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Jimny recovery/tow plates template
Not seen that type before.. The usual ones bolt through the chassis and exit through the bumper, meaning cutting out a slot for them..

More
30 Jan 2018 22:33 #189003 by Johnniehec
It's a bit unfair to the good folks on here who manufacture these, after having done the r&d, and sell them for little profit to go and ask for a copy of their design. Best Buy from an existing supplier, they're not expensive, or do your own thing.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• tim_jimny53
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2018 14:54 #189239 by tim_jimny53
Replied by tim_jimny53 on topic Jimny recovery/tow plates template
Anybody kno where I can buy these recovery points ??? Not seen them before

More
10 Feb 2018 16:19 #189240 by X8GGY
APIO in Japan -

www.apio.jp/parts/jbext/

etc... Loads of different types on there...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim_jimny53

• florinelu07
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2018 08:42 #189331 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic Jimny recovery/tow plates template
I'll do some dummy plates from cardboard and cut it with a scissor to replicate the needed geometry.

After that it can be easily transferred on a CAD drawing that can be used to cut the plate via CNC plasma/laser cutter.

The issue with the plates on the market, is that are way to expensive for the low tech used to design and build these.

A full set is the equivalent of a 4 new tyres.....

More
14 Feb 2018 10:45 #189332 by yakuza
Being a mechanical design engineer I can easily make drawings in acad or other programs myself and used to make different designs as a service to fellow suzuki owners. I made some detailed instructions on making 4.16:1 crawler gears from SJ gear wheels. However when some of the guys i helped (10 years ago) tried to hold me responsible for their own lack of engineering and machining skills when they more or less destroyed their parts. So I got all fed up with that.
I can not recommend others to give any self made drawings to anyone based on my own experience.

And for these brackets the materials and production cost is low, but the engineering time and developing time and skills is what you pay for. and storage and risk involved for the manufacturer.
If they do not fit or fail you can get your money back as well and all this the manufacturer must put into his sales price.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• florinelu07
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2018 11:59 #189334 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic Jimny recovery/tow plates template
True

But the 1000% price mark-up can be debated.

In the case of an failure/issue, legally it will still be the users fault....

More
15 Feb 2018 11:52 #189347 by kirkynut
To be honest, these don't look like a good idea. There appears to be one main bolt taking the strain and a couple of ickle ones stopping it spinning on the Big bolt, which they will fail to do as they're ickle.

I have similar but it's welded.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds