BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gear selection.

• Jimx5
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2018 21:56 #188459 by Jimx5
Gear selection. was created by Jimx5
Good evening, i have a little problem or maybe i don't....and i'm wondering if anyone can advise me.
I've only had the car a few days and haven't had much chance to drive it or compare it with another Jimny, so my question is.....
Are Jimny gear boxes a bit lumpy in selecting gears, i have to really push the gear stick to select 1st and every other gear, it's not like any other car i've owned and it's spoiling the driving experience as i'm consciously feeling for and selecting gears all the time.
The gear stick doesn't just 'slide' in to which ever gear i want but physically has to be pushed almost forced into gear.
Could it just need an oil change?
Any advice would be very welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2018 22:01 #188461 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Gear selection.
They can be a bit clunky but not too bad. Sometimes they don't like first for the first drive of the day so pop it into second first. Reverse can be the same.

New good quality correct gearbox oil can make a big difference.

Where is the biting point of your clutch. If very high it could be the clutch.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimx5

More
16 Jan 2018 22:10 #188462 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Gear selection.
As said, they can be clunky

Couple of other things to look at:

1. Clutch cable adjustment, there is some adjustment available
2. Bushes. There are some small bushes in the remote mechanism that could be worn

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimx5

• Jimx5
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2018 22:16 #188463 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Gear selection.
Yes the 1st and reverse are a bit difficult first drive of the day and then it seems to ease up a bit.
The clutch bite is midway of the pedal stroke and there is no syncromesh crunching.
The best way i can describe it is, if i'm sat at the traffic lights and they change quicker than i anticipate i have to almost double push the gear stick forward before i can get going and holding traffic up behind me.
This happens in every gear, so it's not as though i can do racing starts (not that i want to).
Can you recommend a good gear oil....fully, semi synthetic or just good old mineral.

• Jimx5
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2018 22:22 #188464 by Jimx5
Ahh, i didn't realise it was a cable clutch, i just presumed it was hydraulic.
Bushes....i'll have a closer look when the weather improves a bit, i work outside all day, every day and in winter i've had enough when i get home.
Thankyou.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jan 2018 05:28 #188467 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gear selection.
Regarding oil, ONLY use a proper gl4 lubricant, my local factors insisted that their gl4/5 blend was correct. It is not. It will make getting gears very difficult and it also contains chemicals that are corrosive to some of the yellow metals in the box. I got a simple gl4 from halfords and all is as it should be.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jimx5
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2018 20:40 #191105 by Jimx5
Ok, i am going to change the gearbox oil tomorrow.

I've located the drain and fill plugs and i have the 10mm square drive for the drain.

Question, can you access the fill plug by removing the gear stick gaiter or do you have to go from underneath?

I would have had a look today but last night was a boozy night with the lads and i really could not be bothered today.

More
31 Mar 2018 21:37 - 31 Mar 2018 22:24 #191107 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gear selection.
Yes as above ^^^, they are "clunky".
To elaborate I find ours will only select first when the vehicle is stationery, even the slightest movement and its a no go. No big problem as second, or if a little faster, third can be selected. Its so low geared it will happily move in these alternative gears. Reverse can also be argumentative, but pop it in first then reverse always works. I never force our box, if its not willing to go into gear with little effort I select an alternative gear. It's not a bad box, but does take time to understand its speed preferences and which gear you can select.
I don't find it an issue and its very similar to my Series 2 Landy, although I never use first gear in that, second is my pull away gear.
As per the whole Jimny package the gearbox is "different" to normal cars and may come as a surprise. Thats why love them :)

What is the concensus of Redline MT90 in the gearbox?

Have seen it mentioned on the forum and the manufacturers web site makes some claims that it improves shifting.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 31 Mar 2018 22:24 by Scimike.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
01 Apr 2018 07:39 #191119 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Gear selection.

Jimx5 wrote: Ok, i am going to change the gearbox oil tomorrow.

I've located the drain and fill plugs and i have the 10mm square drive for the drain.

Question, can you access the fill plug by removing the gear stick gaiter or do you have to go from underneath?

I would have had a look today but last night was a boozy night with the lads and i really could not be bothered today.

Get a small oil pump (looks like a big syringe with a tube coming off it). That or use 1 litre bottles of oil as they are all that will fit in there. Has to be done from underneath.

I have the redline oil. It did make it a bit easier to shift, but the main problem was the rear engine mount (gearbox mount) was worn so i was actually moving the whole gearbox about with the gearstick, making changing gear tricky.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
01 Apr 2018 08:19 #191121 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Gear selection.

Lambert wrote: Regarding oil, ONLY use a proper gl4 lubricant, my local factors insisted that their gl4/5 blend was correct. It is not. It will make getting gears very difficult and it also contains chemicals that are corrosive to some of the yellow metals in the box. I got a simple gl4 from halfords and all is as it should be.

This is very true! A surprising amount of vehicles can suffer this - particularly classic cars.
I was all set to use certain synthetic oils in the axle of my 1930s vintage MG then learned that some chemicals in these oils will eat bronze bushes! I now use the old fashioned Classic oil from Halfrauds or Penrite classic oils.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds