BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tow ball projection beyond back axle.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Dec 2017 07:12 #187719 by Lambert
Hi, I need to get my head round the dynamic effects of the projection of the tow ball beyond the back axle as related to driveability of the combo. If for argument the car and trailer are identical each time and the rig rides level with a suitable nose weight and balanced load, as I understand it with a short distance from the axle to the ball the apparent vertical load on the axle is reduced because of the shorter lever action thus the front axle is not being unweighted as much and vice versa for a longer tow ball projection the rear experiences more load and the front gets lighter and stability is reduced. Correct? When applied to cornering the same longer lever action is equally unsettling on the car as the trailer tries to push on against the turning car. Obviously there's a lot of physics at play here but generally the shorter the rearwards projection of the tow ball the more stable the rig?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2017 08:15 #187721 by paul2u
never found it to be a problem as long as it dont rip your knee cap off when passin
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Dec 2017 11:49 #187723 by Riccy

11/60 wrote: Hi, I need to get my head round the dynamic effects of the projection of the tow ball beyond the back axle as related to driveability of the combo. If for argument the car and trailer are identical each time and the rig rides level with a suitable nose weight and balanced load, as I understand it with a short distance from the axle to the ball the apparent vertical load on the axle is reduced because of the shorter lever action thus the front axle is not being unweighted as much and vice versa for a longer tow ball projection the rear experiences more load and the front gets lighter and stability is reduced. Correct? When applied to cornering the same longer lever action is equally unsettling on the car as the trailer tries to push on against the turning car. Obviously there's a lot of physics at play here but generally the shorter the rearwards projection of the tow ball the more stable the rig?

Don’t know if this helps but...

I used to have a merc van, which had a huge distance from axle to towball, and that would go light on the steering with a heavy trailer on. Newer van is a Renault with much less distance to back axle, and that tows much better with the same trailer and cargo (2 ton scissor lift).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
23 Dec 2017 01:26 - 23 Dec 2017 05:27 #187734 by zukebob
Your assumptions are correct.

Whether there would be a problem would depend on how extreme your "theoretical" rearward extension is. Even assuming you are looking at a maximum nose weight (I believe about 130 - 190 lbs for a Jimny) I'm not sure there would be significant impact unless the extension is extreme. That nose weight range is probably close to the weight of most members of the forum. Unfortunately I lean toward the upper end of that. If you can imagine the effects of standing on the tow ball at the different locations, that is close to the effect your shift would be. The biggest impact to handling would likely be if the tow ball was moved rearward significantly and you were driving on an uneven surface. The vertical force at the tow ball would include some g loading in that scenario.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 23 Dec 2017 05:27 by zukebob.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 05:27 #187735 by Lambert
The difference would be something like 4.5 inches which is a lot on a Jimny. It will certainly go a long way to explaining why Ermintrude has never really been the most stable towing especially with single axle trailers.

More
23 Dec 2017 05:28 #187736 by zukebob
I clarified my post too late. Sorry I didn't catch it before your reply.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 05:44 #187737 by Lambert
If I have got the maths right, with a full nose weight of 75kg the rear axle will experience something like 100 kg and the front will experience negative 25kg. With the shorter projection these loads would be reduced by about 15 percent which whilst not a huge amount in reality on such a lightweight car is still a significant reduction. Factor in that 90 percent of what I tow is livestock that even with the best will in the world moves around there are occasions when especially with the single axle trailers that the nose weight can alter massively. Experience allows me to compensate to an extent, but if the combo is naturally more neutral that has to be a good thing.

More
23 Dec 2017 14:39 #187748 by Busta
Spot on. The rear wheels are the fulcrum. Longer lever=more force. I'm not sure if some Jimny towbars are better than others in this regard?

More
23 Dec 2017 19:41 #187754 by Jezz

An accident waiting to happen.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Attachments:

More
24 Dec 2017 01:49 #187758 by zukebob

Well there's your problem.

Sorry....couldn't help myself.

If the difference between the measurement from the rear axle and the stock/original tow ball location to the new extended location is a 15% increase, then your math is correct. I also agree to your comment about how the increase relates to the Jimny. Not only vehicle weight but due to the effects of a short wheel base.

I don't know all of the issues you are trying to understand or resolve. If there are issues with how your Jimny handles while towing, I would ask under what conditions. If there are issues, does it include while you are driving on a level paved road?

As I commented in my last post, If you are driving on uneven surfaces (bumpy farm land) you will experience transient loads where the forces will be accelerated. I made that comment in relation to a trailer load that was static. Something like carrying cargo. Carrying livestock where the mass shifts would be a nightmare of a calculation. If there are handling issues, and they occur on smooth level surfaces, the shifting mass may be the primary issue.

Attachments:

More
24 Dec 2017 02:04 #187759 by zukebob
Oh.....and Merry Christmas.

Helijohn beat me to the punch in the lounge

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 07:00 #187760 by Lambert
Thanks. The main handling issue has always been very specific to Ermintrude and one older single axle tailer. As a combination there has been a small wobble even when the trailer is empty. Now I haven't had much operating time since fitting the new dampers and the bush(not that it was as bad as it ended up in the hands of the mot gibbons ) ,but the same trailer on our other cars is stable and other twin axle trailers on Ermintrude are more stable, its just these two together that don't get on. Having now also got Zebedee with the much shorter tow bar and tested those two it is definitely something to do with Ermintrude and the only difference is the tow bar. The other complication is that the problem trailer is getting old and is slated for replacement or refurbishment before too long, what I don't want to do is hock in a trailer at 1500 quid replacement cost and find that it is no better because the tow bar is wrong on the car when it is much cheaper to replace the tow bar and put the difference to refurbing the existing trailer.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds