BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Belt Squeal

• redoregan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2022 00:41 #245720 by redoregan
Replied by redoregan on topic Belt Squeal
Right, I see. Well, I'll have a look, myself but if you think of it, do let us know. Thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2022 22:02 - 03 Nov 2022 22:43 #245752 by Stainless
Replied by Stainless on topic Belt Squeal
I have found some of my old belt replacement notes. Belt Lengths:
Alternator: 835 or 840 mm. original belt: 4PK841.
Power Steering and Air Conditioning: 955 or 960 mm. original belt: 4PK954.
Power Steering but no AC: 850 mm.
Air conditioning but no PS: 4PK785 mm.
These original belts are 4-ribs wrapped belts, not Raw Edge.
Dunlop make the Raw Edge belts we are discussing.
Belt Stockists: ZORO.CO.UK
bearingboys.co.uk
eastengineering.co.uk
acorn-ind.co.uk

Please check these belt lengths are correct, as my old figures could be wrong. With Raw Edge (Cogged) belts, it’s important that the exposed raw-edge rides on the upper part of the pulley vees, and not running on the ribs at the bottom of the various pulleys. This pulley ride height is dependent on the belt width. For instance, 1PK Rib = 3.56mm, so 4PK = 14.24mm wide belt.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2022 22:43 by Stainless. Reason: Forgot detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redoregan

More
02 Dec 2022 12:09 #246198 by Abudougal
Replied by Abudougal on topic Belt Squeal
OK dredging up this old thread to save starting a new one and splitting up any useful info that might come out.

Had a bit of a squealy belt a while back and tightened it, no probs, then I went lamping and when I left in the dark after using a powerful spottie (and probably draining the battery a bit)  the belt squealed like mad and popped a few miles later.

Fixed it and no probs, now if Im starting the car in the dark and turn lights on it occasionally squeals a bit, I need to turn it off and on again or dip the clutch or switch off the lights for a sec just to get it gripping again, nowhere near as bad as the time it broke.

Obviously I have a small problem here but small problems get worse, I'm guessing either the battery is weak or the alternator, any opinions on which one? I've tried to be as accurate as I can with the symptoms.

My multimeter is at work, keep forgetting to bring it back to check it but seem to remember it charged ok at idle with lights off, I should switch them on and see if it's ok. Also if it's the battery I expect this cold weather will finish it off and that should be a decent diagnosis.

More
02 Dec 2022 13:20 #246200 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Belt Squeal
I am pretty sure my belt is the right tension, but on a couple of cold mornings this week I got a bit belt squeal at start up and at just setting off.

However, my battery is a bit discharged and that was with headlamps on, the blower on and probably demist as well, so it was probably putting too much load on the alternator. As soon as the revs got up, it went and doesn't come back even at idle after a few miles.

I will probably give the battery a charge this weekend.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
02 Dec 2022 16:35 #246203 by Abudougal
Replied by Abudougal on topic Belt Squeal
Perhaps I'm worrying too much, have bought a six quid voltmeter from ebay to wire in and then I can keep an eye on what's going on when it acts up.

More
02 Dec 2022 17:09 #246204 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Belt Squeal
Yes a cheap voltmeter will do the job, unless it turns out to be a 'sick squid'...

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:

More
29 Mar 2023 19:56 #248313 by Me and my Jimny
Replied by Me and my Jimny on topic Belt Squeal
Hey guys, another addition to this thread instead of starting another.My 01 plate has a similar story to this, squeal, snap then OK for a year then same again, and the last one lasted a few weeks. After reading here I checked the alternator and it did occasionally stick completely so ordered a new one. Just finished swapping it and I think I must have something wrong. It started squeeling on idle, then fine but squeeled revving, then fine revving but squeeled with lights on. Figured it was just bedding in, fine on a quick drive but squeeld when home and revving. Getting around 13.5 volts when running. ​​​​​​​I think it's tight enough but will try a bit tighter tomorrow. Any other advice?       

More
29 Mar 2023 21:24 #248314 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Belt Squeal
Post number 4 at the top is my bet. Crankshaft pulley. Shine a torch on it and look for a wobble

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
29 Mar 2023 21:40 #248315 by Me and my Jimny
Replied by Me and my Jimny on topic Re:Belt Squeal
Thanks Martin

I did look at that as I saw it earlier in the thread, I couldn't see any movement on there at all, but I didn't use a torch. Did you suggest the torch because its dark now, or is it actually easier to see movement with a torch ?

More
29 Mar 2023 22:05 #248316 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Belt Squeal
Easier to see the movement

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
30 Mar 2023 07:51 #248318 by Me and my Jimny
OK thanks for the tip, I'll try that later and if not obvious I'll apply more tension.

Also conscious it could just be a build up of crap on that pulley from all the burnt belts, someone also mentioned in the thread. I did my best to clean it but it's bloody awkward to get to

More
30 Mar 2023 17:36 #248326 by Me and my Jimny
Couldn't see any movement with the torch Martin, so think that's OK

More tension seems to have worked, no squeel and a constant 14.10 volts, so I think so far so good

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds