BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

FYI - The easy way to wire DRLs with all connections under the bonnet

• ant0
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2017 17:24 - 25 Jun 2017 17:30 #182272 by ant0
I'm posting this for the benefit of others looking to wire their DRLs fast and easy since I had a right job of searching through here to find the info and most were using in cabin switched live feeds and using the tailight for the 'lights on' sensor that auto switches them off.

I wanted to make it easy and do all connections under the bonnet - here's how...

The DRLs I got were the fog and drl replacement types so directly replace the standard fogs (with some drilling out of stuck screws and filing cages!). Mine were £100 from ebay but there's plenty out there and so fit yours as instructed. This post is for the more useful info of how to connect the main three wires involved: switched/acc live, earth and headlights trigger wire.

SWITCHED LIVE WIRE
The Jimny is bugger compared to normal cars due to most under bonnet lives being permanent, but from a post here, the elec manual and testing I found an ignition switched live at the wiper motor, found at the rear right under bonnet - tap into the YELLOW wire for your DRLs switched/acc live :

HEADLIGHTS TRIGGER/SENSOR WIRE
Legal DRLs will have this wire which needs to know when the headlights are switched on so it can switch the DRLs off to be legal. Again the Jimny is a bugger to find a non permanent feed for this... But a bit of trial and error found a handy one that works... Connect this wire to your RED/YELLOW wire coming from your sidelights:

EARTH
This is straightforward, connect to earth where you want, I went direct to battery earth since my DRLs earth cable ended in that spot anyway.

FUSE THE DRLS
Mine came with a built in fuse and yours likely will also, but if not then ensure you fuse the live feed with an appropriately rated fuse.

Look quite factory since they just replaced the stock fogs, and you keep the fogs working also.

PS: Lets not get into the rights and wrongs of connectors /connections here... You tap in and connect however you want, this post is just to point out which wires to tap into to do your DRLs connections all under bonnet as easy as possible.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2017 17:30 by ant0.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2017 18:18 #182273 by Daniel30
Nice write up well done, thanks for Sharing B) looking good
B)

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jun 2017 05:36 #182282 by 1066Boy
I do like the look of those, nice job. :)

More
26 Jun 2017 07:01 #182283 by Keithy
Thanks for taking the time.....nice write up!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Jun 2017 18:20 #182309 by Riccy
Great info!

Im still getting my head round the negative switching way of doing things as well (as an electrician, auto electrics are totally odd to me!)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds