BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Height and girth.

• Yoozy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2017 08:06 - 02 Jun 2017 08:10 #181693 by Yoozy
Height and girth. was created by Yoozy
Lads, what's the best way to lift the Jeepny a bit and get a bit more width on it? First thing I'd like to do is put some wider tyres on with a more off road bias, it's a bit soft in places where I take mine. Can I get up and out a bit with tyres alone?
Last edit: 02 Jun 2017 08:10 by Yoozy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 15:09 #181700 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Height and girth.
Height is easy with taller tyres. 215/75 r15 or 195/80 r15 are the biggest you can fit without rubbing issues.

Width is easy with wheel spacers or offset rims.

The problem is if you want bigger taller tyres AND wider spacing you will get lots of rubbing and massively limit the articulation. The best bet is to go for taller tyres on standard rims and forget the extra width. A Jimny is actually pretty stable by 4x4 standards, so the width isn't particularly necessary.

• Yoozy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2017 09:43 #181713 by Yoozy
Replied by Yoozy on topic Height and girth.
Its got Nankang? Utility 205/70r15's on now and its been fine. Maybe I'm asking for something it's already got?

• Grogey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2017 14:51 - 03 Jun 2017 15:17 #181714 by Grogey
Replied by Grogey on topic Height and girth.
Even 205/75/R15's on a hired Jimny i drove recently looked better than the stock 205/70/R15's. In saying that a nice set of stock sized All or Mud Terrain tyres on an otherwise stock Jimny do look better than plain Jane road tyres.

In regard to tyres for soft conditions, yes definitely consider the tyre tread and go for the most aggressive thread you are happy to live with when back on road. I've always went All-Terrain, because I needed a tyre that was good on soft sand and quiet for long road trips. I ran Cooper AT3s with which had a 40% offroad to 60% onroad bias. If you are mainly offroad or driving locally, something with a more offroad bias might suit well. Mud-Terrain's etc.

Next, have you been airing down tyres when off-road. This is off-road lesson 1, but is largely ignored due to the hassle factor. Plus if you can't air up and it's many miles to the nearest air compressor, you risk tyre damage at road speeds. It's always easier to air down before you might get bogged in the mud. A small air compressor stored in the boot, or mounted somewhere like the engine bay gets you aired up and of home.

Tyre pressure closely relates to ground pressure, so, say dropping down from 26psi to 9psi, you more than half the ground pressure exerted, and gives your tyres a nice big grippy contact patches. You would have to fit massive tyres for the equivalent effect as the original tyre road pressure. 215/75/15R tyres are 5% bigger and are probably as big as you can go before their negative effects on drive-ability and braking become annoying.

Yes I do sound preachy on the airing down issue. It comes from hard lessons learned and assisting those still at road pressure getting stuck time and time again.

The primary reason for bigger tyres is to increase diff clearance, which is always a help in the roughest conditions.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2017 15:17 by Grogey.

• Grogey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2017 15:09 - 03 Jun 2017 15:26 #181715 by Grogey
Replied by Grogey on topic Height and girth.
Trying to get both height and width with tyres alone with say manageable 215/75/R15s will give you 5mm extra width each side and an 18mm lift. I think they'd look awesome, even though the numbers don't sound like much.

Getting an extra 18mm diff clearance on top of the stock 190mm is only a marginal improvement and though useful won't transform performance. Often the narrower track of a Jimny becomes advantageous in trying to get around that diff pumpkin snagging rock or ridge.

Wheel offset spacers or offset rims will give you a more wide stance. I'm not sure of the legality of spacers though; anyone know? I once increased the track of a GU Patrol with more negative (I think negative means wider stance in this case) offset rims. It drove like a a pig pulling heavily and developed the dreaded death wobble common to live axle 4bs. It couldn't be adjusted out, so I went back to stock rims happily. Anyone have any experience with rim offset changes on Jimny's?
Last edit: 03 Jun 2017 15:26 by Grogey.

• Yoozy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2017 18:55 #181730 by Yoozy
Replied by Yoozy on topic Height and girth.
Cheers boys. Tbh I've put her in some deep stuff today, just farm tracks and some pretty deep ruts,, but probably as bad as she'll see and she breazed through everything.
She's actually causing quite a stir round here, everyone admires her, asks wtf it is and seems genuinely impressed. Most have never heard of a Suzuki though never mind a Jimny :side:
Ive had my landrover days so I know a bit about off road. Seriously loving this though and already looking for another for spares :)

More
04 Jun 2017 08:19 #181745 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Height and girth.
205/70 r15 is the standard tyre size. The sizes I mentioned are only marginally bigger but also have the advantage of being popular sizes for more aggressive tread designs.

If those around you are using heavy 4x4s like Shoguns then you should have no problem in a standard Jimny. It's half a ton lighter for a start.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds