BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Problems regarding 1.6l swap on a jimny G13B

• thordur9
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2017 20:49 #180465 by thordur9
Hello fellow jimny enthusiasts.

I recently did the 1.6l conversion everything went down quite nicely but not all is nice.

I bolted everything on from the 1.3l engine to the 1.6l engine, flywheel, clutch, intake manifold, exhaust manifold e.t.c

Then when I was trying to start the motor, the starter wont engage the flywheel, just grinds it. I am using the starter of the 1.6l engine "skinny starter" because the 1.3l starter motor wont fit. The part number on the 1.6 starter motor is m001t74583. What could be the problem, any suggestions?
Is it the wrong starter motor, I have measured both starter motors and the appear to be the exact same except the housing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2017 21:39 #180468 by TomDK
I have just done the g16b swap. Used the g13bb starter.

On the G16B engine behind the starter there is a retangular protrusion, about 1-2 mm. grind that thing down so it's level with the rest of the engine block. Than the G13BB starter will fit just nicely :)

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2017 09:27 #180473 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Problems regarding 1.6l swap on a jimny G13B
I ordered a special starter motor from Japan but can't find it in my Ebay at the moment. It is a really skinny 2-stage starter motor, one that makes a different noise to any starter I have ever used. I'll see if I can spot the part number in the light tomorrow. Other than that, the change to Baleno G16B went pretty easy as I had been given brilliant instructions from the Nth Qld Zook site :D

I used the green injectors from the 1600 motor but nearly everything else from the Jimny motor.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2017 09:44 #180474 by TomDK
The correct startermotor to use should be from a G16A engine. I believe it's the old 1.6 8V vitara engine. But I like the idea of being able to use the original Jimny starter. Which is why I ground down that thing on the engine block :)

• thordur9
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2017 12:16 #180477 by thordur9
Replied by thordur9 on topic Problems regarding 1.6l swap on a jimny G13B
Thank you guys, I forgot to mention it I thought I bought the g16b engine but when i examined it the block said g16a, so I have the g16a starter motor but I think I will just pull the engine back out and grind the starter motor down and the block a little bit to make it fit. Thank you for your replies. Also do you know if there is some real difference between the g16b and g16a, my engine says g16a on it but is 16valve 1.6l. I did some reading and the only real difference is it's an iron block instead of aluminum?
Can anyone shed some light on that?

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds