BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Shock extenders question

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2017 18:01 #177628 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Shock extenders question

Daniel30 wrote: He doesn't he just said he misses it from his other motors that he has had in the time he has been able to drive :)

At last somebody that gets it !! :laugh: ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2017 18:03 #177629 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Shock extenders question
Don't get it. Misses it because you want to be able to use 4x4 on road?

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2017 18:43 #177631 by 1066Boy
No I just think the is better 4x4 systems out there. ( at higher cost though) :)
The Land Cruiser with front, centre and rear locking diff's will go just about any ware as long as it fits, as its a big tank.
I was also a fan of the Mitsubishi super select system. Transfer box gave you the choice of 2H, 4H, 4H with locked centre diff and
4L with locked centre diff. B) If things got really tricky just press the switch for the rear axle air lock. All standard from the factory. :laugh:

More
01 Feb 2017 19:04 - 01 Feb 2017 19:08 #177632 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Shock extenders question
Only 2 of the vehicles you list have axle diff locks as standard, so what stops you fitting one to the Jimny? It would be much more beneficial than the lumps of metal on the end of your shock absorbers.

And to clarify, a Jimny in 4wd will always send drive to at least 2 wheels- one on each axle. This is the same as a vehicle with a central diff lock set to the locked position. A permanent 4x4 vehicle with an open centre diff can still allow all the drive to go to just 1 wheel, hence the need for a central diff lock in a G Wagon, Defender, Discovery, Lada, Mitsubishi or whatever. So the Mitsubishi in 'Super select' mode 4L with the locked centre diff B) is providing the same drive as a Jimny in 4L B)
Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 19:08 by Busta.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2017 19:18 #177633 by 1066Boy
Totally agree Buster. :) But I did not state that any of mine were standard. ;)
I do like the option of using 4x4 on the road for bad weather or towing though.
The Shogun for one, was a better on road feel in 4x4. As in a lot of Jap cars the steering was very light but
in 4x4 it had a little more feel/weight to it. At motorway speeds it was always light and twitchy in 2WD

More
01 Feb 2017 20:07 #177636 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Shock extenders question
I like my JCB Fastrac for towing. It tows 15 tons pretty happily at 40mph with a comfy ride thanks air suspension, and the 60" tyres, 20 inches of ground clearance and front and rear diff locks are great when it gets muddy. Any excuse to talk about something other than a Jimny eh?

More
01 Feb 2017 20:15 #177638 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Shock extenders question
True 4 wheel drive.
File Attachment:

And the safety equipment required to achieve it.
File Attachment:

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2017 22:20 #177644 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Shock extenders question
It's been said already on a previous thread, but if you want permanent 4wd in the Jimny, put in a Lada Niva transfer box, Redacted had a few lying around his workshop a while back.

Reckons there's not a whole lot to the conversion besides fabbing new mounts, and the t-boxes can be 'lobsterised'.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds