BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Shock extenders question

• wilku
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2017 09:03 #177548 by wilku
Replied by wilku on topic Shock extenders question
I also agree with Busta. It's just relocation of the springs and shocks. And my goal now is only more clearance, as I often tend to go greenlaning and I use routes and paths used by farm equipment mainly, so my main obstacle are their tracks (grooves / ruts) and I need more clearance.

The next step will be of course getting a proper spring + shock lift and by then I will have these extenders tested and will be able to re-sell them.

Martin - I 'designed' (i.e. figured out the dimensions) the extenders myself, based on measurements of my own Jimny, and took the front as reference, so it should be fine. We'll see some time next week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2017 09:41 #177549 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Shock extenders question

wilku wrote: //EDIT: found a bits4vits blog entry about rear spacers used on the front: www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/re-lifting-the-jimny/blog_246.html
I'll do it the same way.

Glad to be of assistance ;)

mlines wrote: Knowing Dave at Bits4vits, I am sure his brackets are designed properly to fit.

Why thank you Sir ;)

More
31 Jan 2017 09:42 #177550 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Shock extenders question
Horses for courses, most of us start with spacers and move to 'proper' lift kits as the hobby (obsession) develops... ;)

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2017 16:40 #177560 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Shock extenders question
OK so the shock piston still travels the same amount. By adding the extensions I have increased the length between the two
mounting points by 40 mm on full compression. No bad thing as my tyres will hit the arches anyway. :)
On full extension, I have increased the point between axle and chassis by 40mm giving me more travel (tyre from wheel arch)
I have +2" springs and +2" shocks. Add to this 40mm extensions, its 40mm that the axle can move at the point that the
shock attaches before the shock tops out. If this is wrong please explain. :unsure:
Sure maybe I termed it wrong when I said more flex. More axle droop would of been more appropriate. :)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2017 17:27 #177562 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Shock extenders question
No. Amount of travel is the same as the 40mm adds to both compressed and extended length.

But yes, more downtravel on the cost of uptravel. With the risk of springs falling out if you're not using spring spacers, spring clamps or longer springs.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2017 17:50 #177566 by 1066Boy
That was what I meant. :) Same travel but increased droop. Yes I have spring locators as they was trying
to escape. :)

More
31 Jan 2017 19:30 #177577 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Shock extenders question
1066boy, do you have 40mm spring spacers fitted as well as the lift springs?

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2017 20:07 #177581 by 1066Boy
No just +2" springs, +2" shocks and shock relocation brackets.

More
31 Jan 2017 21:45 #177588 by Busta

1066Boy wrote: No just +2" springs, +2" shocks and shock relocation brackets.

I'm confused why you have fitted shock extenders to extended shocks with matched springs? Surely that increases the chance of the shock bottoming out or the spring dislocating?

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2017 07:19 #177603 by 1066Boy
I think the Pro comp es1000 is actually a little more than 2" in reality. Have used them quite hard and never
bottomed them out yet. I have spring location clamps so that keeps them in place. I have gone the extender
route to gain more axle droop. Some of the places I go its very easy to get a wheel in the air and lose traction.
I miss having a centre locking diff and a rear air locker but don't want to modify little Jim that far as its only for fun. :)

More
01 Feb 2017 07:28 #177604 by Busta

1066Boy wrote: I think the Pro comp es1000 is actually a little more than 2" in reality. Have used them quite hard and never
bottomed them out yet. I have spring location clamps so that keeps them in place. I have gone the extender
route to gain more axle droop. Some of the places I go its very easy to get a wheel in the air and lose traction.
I miss having a centre locking diff and a rear air locker but don't want to modify little Jim that far as its only for fun. :)

If the shocks are longer that only exacerbates the issue. Axle droop is useless if there is no pressure pushing the wheel down. You are joking about the centre locking diff bit, right?

• wilku
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2017 10:24 #177606 by wilku
Replied by wilku on topic Shock extenders question
Why would you want a central locking diff??? When you have a wheel in the air you'd have to lock it. Without it the car behaves just as if it had a central diff locked.

Or did you mean an air locker that you can engage from inside?

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds