BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tyre noise or something else?

More
10 Nov 2016 10:27 #174460 by minibbb
My jim is on 215/75/15 BFG MUD Terrains which haven't got a huge amount of mileage on them. In the last couple of months the front offside tyre has got seriously noisy- before this they were all very quiet.

Pressure is fine, no damage to see and no whee wobble suggesting the wheel is buckled etc. Just a loud thump thump noise- increases more with speed.

I popped it to the garage as it had been suggested the whee bearing was the culprit but he seemed to think it was ok- not v noisy when you spin the wheel and no wobble noted.

Any other suggestions as to what it can be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2016 11:42 #174462 by yakuza
vacuum free wheel hub not disengaging?
lubrication missing from inside hub/drive shaft?
(rethreaded) tyre coming loose from the stem of the tyre?

I do remember a school teacher when i grew up in the eighties who had similar trouble with his beetle.
Some of us kids had put pebbles inside the hub caps :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: minibbb

More
10 Nov 2016 11:47 #174463 by minibbb
Thanks matey- it's on manual hubs. Not sure you mean about the tyre coming loose from the stem of the tyre?

I'll try and swap the spare with the wheel later and see if that helps

More
10 Nov 2016 11:58 #174464 by yakuza
Sorry for language problems (I am Norwegian :) )

The mould of the tyre can sometimes come loose from the stem of the tyre. The tyre can delaminate so to say.. not sure if offroading with low pressure can increase the risk of this happening, but i have had the problem myself with firestone mud tyres some 20 years ago. The dealer said it happens more often with remoulds.
balancing problems can be caused by this .

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: minibbb

More
10 Nov 2016 12:37 #174465 by minibbb
Ah that's handy thanks- will try swapping the wheels and see if that helps

More
11 Nov 2016 17:57 #174516 by minibbb
So the wheel swap has cured the noise!!

Question is what on earth could be wrong with the tyre? It looks fine- no visual damage other than slightly perished near the bead. Nothing stuck in it etc

More
12 Nov 2016 06:18 #174531 by fozzie
How old are these tyres?

Old tyres lose their ability to flex and grip properly and can cause all kinds of noises on the road.

2012 Jimny Black. Totally standard (except for rear seat removal mod).

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds