BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

left wingmirror

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2016 16:48 #174154 by Decklandpt
left wingmirror was created by Decklandpt
hi there.
2000 suzuki jimny
My left wing mirror is currently dangling in the wind. Took it apart and seems like the castle nut poped out of place. Cracked the glass trying to pull it of the mirror and it didn´t come off.
Even if i could, due to the plastic part around it, i doubt it would be possible to pop it back into place with a c-clamp or something

The dealer is asking 270€ for a new one, around 250£ wich is stupid expensive.
Tried a bunch os parts dealers and no one has one, not new, not used.
i did however find nem ones for the recent model, the smaller and heated ones for 100€.
So, i'd rather pay 200 for a set of new ones than 270 for a single old school one.

Now comes doubt... are they compatible, install wise?
They seem compatible, but while the one i have has to be screwed onto the door, the new ones seem to have treaded spikes on them, so i would only need some nuts to install them? is this doable?
Also, since it doesn't hurt to ask, would anyone around here have one that they'd be willing to ship to portugal??
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2016 16:55 #174155 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic left wingmirror
i have one :)
its not perfect from 2001
will take picture tomorrow
also i will remove and check the weight
so send me your address by PM
and i'll get back to you with a price

Jack

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2016 17:05 #174156 by Decklandpt
Replied by Decklandpt on topic left wingmirror
oh god, you're a life saver. i need it before december, when the mot is due.
doesn't have to be perfect. can even have a broken glass. all i need it for it to hold in place.
will send you my adress right away.

More
02 Nov 2016 17:15 #174157 by jackonlyjack

Daughter through some sort of paint out bedroom window
It will be £10 plus postage

Jack
Attachments:

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2016 17:24 #174158 by Decklandpt
OH GOD, IT'S THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE EVER LAYED EYES ON!!!!YESS, I'LL TAKE IT.
in all seriousness, yeah, it's perfect i'll just give it a good clean and it will be as good as new.
PM me to arrange payment, if you want to just send me you IBAN and i'll wire you the money as soon as you have the postage.
god, you have no idea how many breakers and scrapyards i called to find one
thank you so much

More
02 Nov 2016 17:33 #174162 by jackonlyjack
lol i am keeping the spiders :woohoo:
should have a shipping price by 1600 hours our time zone tomorrow

Jack

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2016 17:43 #174163 by Decklandpt
you can keep the spiders, they are the only thing that gives this manly man the shivers...that and freshly cut fingernails on syntetic fabrics lol.
if you could, please send it via the extra fast special delivery thingy, dont want it getting lost in the post office lol
again, thank you so much.

More
03 Nov 2016 16:07 #174205 by jackonlyjack

Decklandpt wrote: you can keep the spiders, they are the only thing that gives this manly man the shivers...that and freshly cut fingernails on syntetic fabrics lol.
if you could, please send it via the extra fast special delivery thingy, dont want it getting lost in the post office lol
again, thank you so much.

price sent by PM

Jack

More
03 Nov 2016 18:35 #174220 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic left wingmirror

Decklandpt wrote: hi there.
2000 suzuki jimny
My left wing mirror is currently dangling in the wind.

I may have misunderstood but I removed the mechanism from behind the driver's mirror and secured the glass in place with cable ties from behind. It was still possible to adjust the mirror (glass) by hand.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Decklandpt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2016 19:21 #174227 by Decklandpt
you did somewhat...or i did..
what's gone is the "grab" on the pivot.
the base of the mirror as a vertical "spike", that goes up the mirror casing. once inside, a spring is placed around it, and then held in place by a castle nut. like a washer, with "teeth" on the inside edge. those "teeth" form a hole smaller than the spike, so that washer is pressed down onto it and the "teeth" hold it in place. that's the part that came of. so the whole assembly is flaying in the wind.
i tried to remove the glass part, didn't come off, and having no replacement at hand, didnt want to risk not being able to put it back in place, leaving me with no mirror whatsoever.
one would need to get a tool, maybe a couple of c-clamps (since the wires for the motor go up tru the spike and castle nut) to push down the castle nut. that is not possible, not without some inventiveness at least, because the spike and castle nut are surrounded by a plastic hood...almost as if the spike and nut was inside a pipe.
if it was just the mirror itself, no problem, just pop something in place and call it a day.
what really pisses me off is knowing that nothing is actually broken, it's just the design of the thing that makes it so hard inf not impossible to fix.
plus...almost 300€ for a new one... that's stupid money...was about to weld some plates over the holes and switch both mirrors for the samurai ones, for 22€ a pair

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds