BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Automatic problems

More
01 Nov 2016 20:21 #174124 by Casey
Automatic problems was created by Casey
So after a good few years of driving manual Jimnys I decided to finally make the change and went for an automatic. A 52 Reg with only 29,000 on the clock that's been well looked after and only had two owners.

Anyway, when cold it drives like a dream, much quieter and smoother than my last manual Jimny, although to be fair that was a 2001 with 98,000 on the clock. The problem is I've discovered that after 20mins/half an hours driving engine gets noisy and sounds like a vaccuum cleaner, like it's revving too much, although the rev counter is steady. It only makes the noise when the revs go over 2000 but when it does it becomes less responsive. I've noticed that if I totally rev the balls out of it for a few seconds it seems to go back to normal, at least for a short while.

It's the first automatic I've had so don't know whether the problem is with the engine or the automatic gearbox. Anyone got any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2016 00:32 #174129 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Automatic problems
Although my automatic is only a year old, it has never done what you describe. Regardless of vehicle age, that doesn't sound to me like anything transmission related. You really should take it to a competent mechanic to have him determine the cause.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: Casey

More
02 Nov 2016 00:46 #174130 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Automatic problems
Yes I was thinking not transmission. I was wondering what the answer might be so I waited to see who might reply. The only noise I could think of was fan related. When I give my Pajero some wellie the fan noise is rather like a vacuum cleaner but I have a viscous fan so it kicks in more when the rad is hot. I also get that to a degree when the aircon comes on and it tends to sap some performance. Only a guess but could this be fan related.
Have you had the hood up to listen to/for the noise?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Casey

• JimnyMax
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2016 02:57 #174133 by JimnyMax
Replied by JimnyMax on topic Automatic problems
Mines an automatic, 2000 with more miles, not had any of the problems you describe. I'm with zikebob on this one.

More
02 Nov 2016 08:00 #174139 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Automatic problems

zukebob wrote: Although my automatic is only a year old, it has never done what you describe. Regardless of vehicle age, that doesn't sound to me like anything transmission related. You really should take it to a competent mechanic to have him determine the cause.

Agreed - my auto (the box) was flawless but I tend to think it would be nice to find the fault without going to a garage. I'd be jumping out and sticking an ear under the bonnet every five minutes trying to puzzle it out. A bearing noise would not make a vacuum sound.............or would it. A vacuum makes a fan type noise except Dysons which make a kerchink $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$/££££££££££££.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
02 Nov 2016 09:09 #174141 by Casey
Replied by Casey on topic Automatic problems
Thanks guys, will have to spend a bit of time tracking it down and if no joy bite the bullet and let the garage have it. Thanks again for your responses.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2016 18:22 #174167 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Automatic problems
Wait until it makes the noise and stop the vicious fan with a rolled up newspaper.
Its a bit scary but it works. :) that will at least eliminate the fan.

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2016 16:13 #174206 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Automatic problems

1066Boy wrote: Wait until it makes the noise and stop the vicious fan with a rolled up newspaper.

would not recommend doing this, if the viscous has seized it wont stop !!:( :(

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2016 18:51 #174223 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Automatic problems

wombat wrote:

1066Boy wrote: Wait until it makes the noise and stop the vicious fan with a rolled up newspaper.

would not recommend doing this, if the viscous has seized it wont stop !!:( :(

Then you will find out!! :blink:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds