BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Undoing crank pulley bolt?

• SOTA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2016 14:08 #161496 by SOTA
Replied by SOTA on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?

facade wrote: Incidentally, my jimny had started to make A Noise when revved hard in first gear to pull away sharply, a sort of graunchy buzzy howl, just like a worn needle roller in the gearbox.

Mine started making a bit of a squealing sound like a loose belt, but belts were tight, as you say when pulling away hard, probably about a week ago. Engine management light came on yesterday morning and then the pulley went last night.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2016 14:14 #161497 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?

SOTA wrote: Fantastic how-to, thanks for the details.

Not sure when I'll get space to carry out repairs, I've refilled the water. With no water pump spinning will it be safe to start the engine just to manoeuvre the jimny into a place where I can work on it?

No longer than 30 seconds running time.

If it is filled with water yes. It will hardly get warm in 30 seconds.

Mine made A Dreadful Noise driving along then went quiet. The battery light was on, so I knew it had thrown a belt. Carried on about a mile 'till it was safe to stop, and the temp was at the top.

After I stopped, it blew coolant out of the overflow, and when cold had gone down to halfway between the marks.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SOTA

• SOTA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2016 14:38 #161500 by SOTA
Replied by SOTA on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
When mine went the section of motorway had no hard shoulder, so I moved to the left and limped to the next exit.
By the time I had stopped, battery light was on and temp gauge hit the top, overflow bottle was knocked off it's bracket by the pressure and is now loose in the engine bay. I'll probably just zip tie that back in for the time being.

More
30 Jan 2016 19:54 #161519 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
[quote="facade" post=161470
The new one looks like this (ooh shiny :lol: ).[/quote]

Brilliant. B) Shouldn't it be a sticky????

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
03 Feb 2016 16:09 #161792 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Jun 2018 12:50 #193290 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?

Jezz wrote: If you end up going down the welder route, Get a nut large enough to fit over the bolt head and weld on, then you still have the new welded on nut to get a socket on. Similar to the photo.

I love this welding on nut trick so much I was clear out of nuts after dismantling my last rusty old SJ..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds