BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Estimated garage price to sort death wobble?

More
26 Nov 2015 14:41 - 26 Nov 2015 15:19 #157237 by fozzie
Hi Samwdj,

Not everyone can do things themselves, so don't worry about that.

I don't know how much it would cost for a garage to change the kingpin bearings, but I could hazard a guess of 3 hours per side (if they've done it before) so I would budget about £250 for an indies labour plus parts.

The 'Death Wobble' on my Jimny was fixed when I fitted new tyres. The old tyres balanced up ok, but must have been deforming when driving to cause the imbalance and hence the wobble.

If you are able to jack the car up and put it on an axle stand, put your hands on the lifted wheel at the twelve and six o'clock positions and give it some 'elbow' to test for movement in the kingpins, there is always the chance that it isn't them! I take it that you haven't installed the shims yet? It might not need them!

Failing that, get your mate to test it with you and also check the steering joints.

Hope this helps.

Paul

2012 Jimny Black. Totally standard (except for rear seat removal mod).
Last edit: 26 Nov 2015 15:19 by fozzie. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2015 15:26 - 26 Nov 2015 15:27 #157238 by Germny
DW got really bad when I was away on business for an extended period so the Mrs. got the wheels balanced. Made no difference.

Checked the tyre pressures when I got home - 35 psi all round! Reduced the pressures to the recommended and the DW was cured.

Go for the easy stuff first, you may be pleasantly suprised!

Transwarp overspeed correction. Twin hay bales. Kingpin autofix option with partial magnetic death wobble suppression thingy. Full set of chocolate sockets. Reisher’s stiffy riding shotgun. Several wee holes to let the rainwater in. Lucy in the sky with diamonds.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2015 15:27 by Germny. Reason: Can't type or spell.

• Funky Diver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2015 19:17 #157259 by Funky Diver
Replied by Funky Diver on topic Estimated garage price to sort death wobble?
I would surmise that if he changed the head gasket and the engine didn't blow and it drove in a straight line changing the suspension then there be more than enough skill there. Take a look through the thread on here and show it your mate then take it from there. A create of beer and regular brews for the same end result is always a winner in my book, plus you will learn along the way. Win win I reckon!

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2015 19:23 #157261 by mickt
Have you read through the extensive thread on this forum about this problem? Worth a read as it might just be something simple, like wheel nuts correctly torque loaded or rust on the hub or muck in the inner wheel. Do the simple things first. You could swap the wheels front to rear in case it is a tyre out of balance.

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2015 18:07 #157329 by troggy
Having read up on this, as we all have, it seems wheel balance is a major factor. When swapping wheels, it seems to change when the resonance occurs ie different speed, less wobble'
kingpins are not so hard to do if you've got the gear, and the time.
It would seem to me that everything has to be tight down there :ohmy: ..oooh err missus!

More
27 Nov 2015 18:22 #157331 by helijohn

fozzie wrote: I would budget about £250 for an indies labour plus parts.

I got a quote a year or so back and it was £150 per side plus parts. :(

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds