BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

which coolant type do you use?

• jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2015 19:49 #156023 by jim
which coolant type do you use? was created by jim
I have been reading up on coolant but it's not clear which colour or type is specified.

I bought the blue silicate 50/50 ready mixed with 2 year life but I'm reluctant to use it. Now I think the OAT red stuff with 5 year life is better suited.

The stuff I have in at the moment looks green but I was going to flush it anyway. Halfords didn't have a green coolant otherwise I would have just done like for like.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2015 20:01 #156029 by Rhinoman
OAT is what I have in mine, if you change the anti-freeze type then make sure that you flush the system through properly first. The two types don't mix well.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jim

• jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2015 20:21 #156033 by jim
Replied by jim on topic which coolant type do you use?

Rhinoman wrote: OAT is what I have in mine, if you change the anti-freeze type then make sure that you flush the system through properly first. The two types don't mix well.

I think I will go for the OAT, the green stuff in there now must be oat but I will flush it anyway.

More
12 Nov 2015 09:33 #156069 by Bosanek
Two local Suzuki dealers told me that Jimnys use "G11" coolant. It is usually blue or blue-greenish in color.

Suzuki's original service manual says that a "glycol-based" coolant should be used. It does not specify the exact technical type.

More
12 Nov 2015 09:59 #156071 by fozzie
Weird one this. I can't find what type to use in the handbook for the car. However, my car is 2007 and was bought from a Suzuki main dealer and is filled with the Red/Pink antifreeze.

2012 Jimny Black. Totally standard (except for rear seat removal mod).

• jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2015 11:50 #156080 by jim

fozzie wrote: Weird one this. I can't find what type to use in the handbook for the car. However, my car is 2007 and was bought from a Suzuki main dealer and is filled with the Red/Pink antifreeze.

It is a weird one! as I've heard different accounts of using silicate, oat, phosphate or even one that was phosphate and silicate.

Maybe it doesn't matter too much but just wanted to be careful as I don't want to harm the materials the cooling system is constructed of. Either way I will be sure to flush it well as mixing can cause congealing and block the system.

Halfords compatability chart recommends OAT too.

• jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2015 11:58 #156083 by jim
From what I have read colour doesn't always accurately correspond to a certain specification.

Blue - silicate 2 year life (ive used this on older vehicles where oat may damage cooling system)
Red/pink OAT 5 year (more modern)
Green phosphate (came as standard from suzuki)

• jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2015 12:09 #156087 by jim
This explains a little further

www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sx4-forum/5...ngine-coolant-2.html

Red oat like comma g30 is silicate free and ethanol based which is preferred.

More
12 Nov 2015 15:04 #156105 by fozzie
Jim, I'm so sorry I gave you b*m info!!

I got my cars mixed up! My wifes 2012 Corsa has the red coolant, my car has the blue/green stuff. I've just checked. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that the coolant was red :blush:

Thank you for the correct info you gave.

Paul

2012 Jimny Black. Totally standard (except for rear seat removal mod).

• jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2015 15:49 #156107 by jim
No problem paul thanks for your input. I don't think there is a right or wrong type although it leans in favour of red OAT as Blue silicate 'may cause hot spots or clogging'

The original green phosphate suzuki type doesn't seem to exist and even dealers seem to be using red OAT. Halfords and other auto pArts centres seem to specify red OAT for jimny.

I may ring my local suzuki dealer and see what they are using.

fozzie wrote: Jim, I'm so sorry I gave you b*m info!!

I got my cars mixed up! My wifes 2012 Corsa has the red coolant, my car has the blue/green stuff. I've just checked. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that the coolant was red :blush:

Thank you for the correct info you gave.

Paul

• jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2015 16:01 #156109 by jim
I was hoping to resolve this after calling the dealer but they have confused things further. The parts guy said suzuki have been changing the type constantly . They are now using blue long life all it said was its ethynol based.

I'm still going to flush several times and use red.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2015 17:16 #156117 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic which coolant type do you use?
I was going to use the modern pink stuff in my Shogun but was warned against it.
The older cars had brass/copper parts in the coolant system and the pink stuff slowly
eats them. :blink: Not sure about the Jimny but worth checking first. :)

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds