BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Consequences of having a steel front bumper

More
10 Aug 2015 14:42 #149609 by Bosanek
I am considering to install heavy-duty steel front bumper on my Jimny (like the well known ARB steel front bumper).

The largest advantages of having a steel bumper instead of factory plastic one would be:
1. Higher bumper -> much larger approach angle
2. Tougher looks, tougher physically as well
3. Ability to add driving lights, winches, etc.
4. No need to add any "bull bar" ("nudge bar") which would further reduce approach angle.
5. If my wife hits something in front at low speed (and she does have a habit of pushing trash containers around ....), the bumper should survive quite nicely

However, I am certain there are some disadvantages as well!
So, what would the disadvantages of having a steel bumper instead of factory plastic front bumper be?

I am thinking about these possible issues:
1. More weight on the front suspension (how much additional weight would it be)?
2. Risk of front suspension becoming "sagged" or "leaned" (I read about that issue on some forums!)
3. Legality in European Union territory? Or does it depend on country-per-country basis, even in EU?
4. Influence on car behavior during frontal impact (crush zones, airbag funcionality, etc.)
5. Influence on car handling and traction (due to additional weight up front, which is already much heavier than the rear-wheel driven back)

Have I forgotten any additional advantage or disadvantage?
The following user(s) said Thank You: NelsonB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2015 15:21 #149610 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Consequences of having a steel front bumper
What year is your jimny? there has been a debate on here about changing the bumper from 2007 onwards to a steel /winch bumpers

More
10 Aug 2015 15:38 #149612 by Bosanek
My Jimny was made in 2006 and has a 2nd gen front bumper (the largest / lowest one, with the smallest approach angle). It has fog lights.
The bumper has survived several hits up front in low speed (usually during turning, parking etc.) and has survived a couple of ground hits due to insufficient approach angle. It has started to come off the chassis, and will need repairs.

Therefore, I am thinking of either maybe replacing it with a 1st gen bumper (I have a chance of obtaining one), or maybe even installing a heavy duty aftermarket steel bumper instead. But I need to know the advantages and disadvantages of any solution.

More
15 Aug 2015 09:19 #149847 by Obarno
Something else to consider with a larger deeper front bumper is air flow to the engine. My 2007 Jimy has a first generation ORA winch bumper with a Superwinch EP 9 winch. The bumper really restricts air flow to the bottom half of the radiator when off road and has made the engine run hot when there were very high air temperatures - Round 38 C but another consequence was that the air con didn't work properly as the air con rad kept overheating. Although the air con fan moves a lot of air it was insufficient. Not helping was my number plate which I have lowered as much as possible and I also changed the viscous coupling on the fan in case that too wasn't working properly. I also elongated 2 of the air holes in the lower part of the bumper to make them slots between 2 holes which also helped. These small improvements seem to have solved the problem, but I must point out it was very hot and we were climbing in low 2nd so the engine was working hard.
Just something to consider when you are looking at winch bumpers

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
18 Feb 2016 12:20 #162620 by Bosanek
Thank you very much for these observations. I never thought much about air flow with steel bumpers, as I supposed that air flow would not be an issue at all, since most steel bumpers are not deep (tall) at all.

My primary concerns were additional weight on the front suspension, and possible steering misbehavior at bends, as the front/back weight ratio would be further biased to the front on an already front-heavy car with rear wheel drive.

Did anyone else have issues with air flow when using steel bumpers?

More
28 Feb 2016 19:44 #163104 by mc_nebula
I think that some metal bumpers can actually reduce the approach angle, it _looks_ like the ORA bumper potrudes further than the standard one, surely this would have an effect? Anyone got any side-on pictures?

More
23 Jun 2016 18:39 #169055 by NelsonB
Dear Bosanek and fellow zookers,
I am thinking in putting the ARB steel bumper too. Even though I have an OME suspension (schocks and heavy springs) I am not sure it could avoid the lowering in the front. I assume a 40kg of the bumper plus 30kg of a winch. Maybe it could reduce the advantages of the lift in the approach angle.
Also, the ARB don´t have a hole for fog lights, that is very usefull down here, from a safety perspective.
Any suggestions or commentaries are welcome.
regards

More
23 Jun 2016 19:43 - 23 Jun 2016 19:45 #169058 by Rhinoman
I think this is a 2007 model:

www.bigjimny.com/forum/8-my-jimny/47280-jimny-in-panama.html

As far as I know the ARB is the only bumper that has been through safety testing and isn't supposed to affect airbag operation or crumple zones, although don't see any mention of that on their website.

Edit: The ARB US site claims that they are tested with airbags:

store.arbusa.com/Bull-Bars-Bumpers-Tire-Carriers-C8.aspx

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 19:45 by Rhinoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NelsonB

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds