BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Tow bar wiring

• Sungaets
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2015 11:41 #142335 by Sungaets
Tow bar wiring was created by Sungaets
Dean Shetland.
Can some one help, i am trying to wire up a tow bar socket to my 2014 jimny, i am finding it impossible to get it wired up, so far i have indicators, and brake lights, but i have come unstuck with the side lights and fog lamp, i have taken the trim out of the near side, i have also down loaded the tow bar instructions from the forum.What clour of wire do i require for the side lights and what colour for the fog lamp, i found one thread that said connect the fog lamp wire into the green black , i have no green black, the wire going going into the lamp is blue green, totally stuck some help would be very much appreciated.
Regards Dean.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2015 11:53 #142336 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Tow bar wiring
Hi Dean, turn the foglamp on, use a circuit tester to determine which is the live feed then connect the wire to that one.
Connect the sidelamps using the same procedure and all should be well.
Cheers Ian

• Sungaets
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2015 12:41 #142341 by Sungaets
Replied by Sungaets on topic Tow bar wiring
Thanks Wombat , i hadn't thought about using a meter, but to get the fog lamp switch to work don't i need to at least put on the side lights, if so how do i then determine what wire is powering what, as far as i can figure out the red yellow wire is sidelights , the tow bar socket should have a black and a brown, when i connect the black i get side lights on the trailler but only the left one at the rear works, if i connect the brown all iights come including indicators which makes me think i have an earth problem, i am unsure also what colour the earth wire is,is it black or black with white dotting?
Can anyone please help i am going bonkers .There doesn't seem to be a defined diagram for my car ,which is 2014.
Thanks in advance Dean.

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2015 12:52 #142342 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Tow bar wiring
switch the sidelamps and foglamp on then check the feed at the actual lamps, this will tell you which colour wire feeds what, then connect that colour wire to the relevant socket wire.Also i usually connect the towbar socket earth wire to its own earth on the car body. Is the towbar socket wired up properly?
Ian

More
12 Apr 2015 14:23 - 12 Apr 2015 15:30 #142346 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Tow bar wiring

I never wired my fog up as its on the rear right only (in UK anyway) so you'd need to maybe run a wire over to the right hand side ?

;)
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 15:30 by Halford.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2015 16:29 #142348 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Tow bar wiring
Well to start with side lights are in the bumper and fog light is on the body so you only need to run 1 wire to the fog light the rest can be wires in behind the bumper

• Statey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2015 17:14 #145934 by Statey
Replied by Statey on topic Re:Tow bar wiring
Sorry to pull up an old thread I'm putting some lights on my roof bar and noticed I had some connectors spare? What any ideas?

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2015 17:19 #145936 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Re:Tow bar wiring
Rear speakers could be one of them

• Statey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2015 18:29 #145945 by Statey
Replied by Statey on topic Re:Tow bar wiring
Cheers wombat! I'm just creating a new thread now as the thing has got me baffelled more!

More
23 Apr 2022 21:54 #243100 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Re:Tow bar wiring
Ok I had previously done the modification where you bring the indicators up out of the bumper and into the rear lights up either side of the rear door . 
Ive been pulling the trailer last couple of weeks with no lights and said I wire em in today while I waiting on the crank pulley to arrive .

So got it taped in this evening and got my reg plate lights running again. 

The question is do I need to make two connections into the RED/YELLOW STRIPE wire to get left sidelights and right sidelights or can i make just one connection on the RED/YELLOW STRIPE. Thanks in advance lads . J

Brake Lights  

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2022 21:55 #243101 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Re:Tow bar wiring
ill be broke buying bulbs......

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Apr 2022 05:00 #243104 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Tow bar wiring
From memory I have mine fed independently from each side.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds