BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M16a VVT engine into non VVT Jimny.

• Tony M16a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2014 22:35 #122448 by Tony M16a
M16a VVT engine into non VVT Jimny. was created by Tony M16a
Help!!!! I have a non VVT Jimny with a shot engine (01 on X plate). I have just aquired a M16a VVT complete Liana at a knock down price. I am aware of the basic mechanical mods...Sump, oil pick up, filter, dip stick, pulley etc.
BUT... Assume the Liana ECU and wiring will have to be used. Does anyone have experience of non VVT to VVT?????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2014 00:55 #122453 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic M16a VVT engine into non VVT Jimny.
if you try use your non vvt ecu with vvt engine it will end in a catastrofic failure as me and a group of lads off here found out after smoggy had his engine swapped by a company who wont be named from duhram which have a animal in the title, plus other failings they performed,

how ever smoggy spoke to the suzuki mechanics and they confirmed the jimny ecu wouldnt run the engine correctly,

i'm not sure about the wiring of the liana ecu it should in theory work, but maybe a vvt jimny ecu could be used?

how ever i do know you cant use your current non vvt ecu to run the vvt engine

• Tony M16a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2014 09:36 #122460 by Tony M16a
Replied by Tony M16a on topic M16a VVT engine into non VVT Jimny.
Thanks. I assumed that was the case. I am going to go for fitting the Liana ecu and inlet manifold but am wondering how much of the Liana wiring loom may also be used. Under a bit of pressure to get rid of the Liana wreck from her who must be obayed indoors!!!!! Anyone done a successful None vvt to VVT? Surely must be possible to do what I intend. Engine currently running a treat in the Liana.

Watch this thread for progress..........or disaster!!!!!

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2014 12:59 - 24 Aug 2014 17:46 #122472 by RichiesJimny
Replied by RichiesJimny on topic M16a VVT engine into non VVT Jimny.
As far as I'm aware all the liana's are 1.6 none vvt so will fit a none vvt Jimny (there's a few mods to do but it's a fairly straight forward job)

Don't use the liana inlet manifold or the ecu (use every thing off the 1.3 apart from the block and head)
Last edit: 24 Aug 2014 17:46 by RichiesJimny.

• Tony M16a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2014 16:06 #122479 by Tony M16a
When I bought the Liana I also thought they were all non VVT but.......Certain that it is as there is the extra lump on the camshaft cover.....'06 Liana with 40 Thou on the clock.
Accept the mechanical bits are fairly straight forward and yes know that non VVTs are compatible.
Surely someone who is a sparks can give the answer to the wiring ecu/manifold issue?!?!

More
21 Aug 2014 17:18 #122485 by supergaz
I am picking up a Liana on 40k tomorrow non VVT, maybe breaking it depending on the damage.
I already have a non vvt m16a in my non vvt jimny. Will know what im doing with my Liana once ive had a closer inspection wether to fix or break.

• Tony M16a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2014 17:40 #122489 by Tony M16a
Well if you decide to sort the Liana have gearbox and majority of body available.Relatively minor crunch to offside front.

My thinking is that if I have a good running 1.6 engine in the Liana surely if I keep the majorityof the control system it will go into the Jimny. My issue is about whether the non VVT wiring can be kept with a VVT ecu or has the loom got to be modified?

More
21 Aug 2014 19:00 #122494 by Rhinoman
I think you'll find that the ECU connectors are completely different so you would really need the swap the loom. What year is the Liana? if you PM me the VIN I could check on the parts database.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony M16a

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2014 19:47 #122497 by RichiesJimny
Save your self a load of hassle and just buy a none vvt liana

• Tony M16a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2014 20:16 #122500 by Tony M16a
Thanks Rhinoman.

For you and anyone else who may be able to help. The Liana is on an 06 plate first registered 30-03-06
Vin: JSAERC31S00351164 Engine number M16A-1105403

I have got the bit between the teeth and WILL sort this one and plan to do a photo run down if anyone else wants to follow. My logic is simple...... I have a sweet running Liana. Mechanical mods should not affect the engine control system with the exception of issues related to slow running and the inlet manifold sensor (if use the Jimny - as seems the least difficult).

I suppose my biggest concern is sorting which bits of loom to use with the Liana ECU and how that may affect other elements like the engine immobiliser/ignition switch. Any help advice welcomed!!!!!!!!!

Please do not say just find a non VVT. OK I c**ked up but am now determined to sort...............

• Tony M16a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2014 12:16 #122536 by Tony M16a
Ok all you 'Just get a non VVT engine' guys. I have been researching the installing of the Liana VVT ECU and relevant wiring loom. Yep a nightmare!!!! It may be possible to reprogramme the ECU to exclude having to worry about ignition and immobilisor issues. Still seems a difficult route.

BUT!!! Perhaps a brainstorm but can a VVT engine be mechanically converted back to non VVT. If I am correct the VVT operates on the inlet valve camshaft. SO.........I am wondering if it is possible to change the VVT camshaft for the non VVT inlet shaft off the jimny. Wondering if the camshaft bearings are compatible and if it will all line up. Will the Jimny camshaft be compatible for valve timing/ performance etc?

May be off my head but any comments appreciated. Can anyone cross reference the non VVT Jimny camshaft with the non VVT Liana shaft??????? PLEASE!!!!

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2014 12:19 - 22 Aug 2014 13:17 #122538 by RichiesJimny
Probably easier to buy a wiring loom ecu and the keys etc from a vvt Jimny than it would be to try and chop the wiring harness.
But my advise would be to just buy the correct engine
Last edit: 22 Aug 2014 13:17 by RichiesJimny.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds