BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soggy brakes even after bleeding

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2014 13:37 - 11 Jul 2014 13:39 #119768 by bigoffroader
Replied by bigoffroader on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding

MysticRich wrote: Hi tony
You haven't changed any of your brake lines have you ?
I recently fitted braided hoses all way along rear axle and removed all copper pipe and the brass T connection wasn't fully drilled so I couldn't bleed the brakes up proper.
Took 2hr scratching my head and stripping things and refitting to find the problem and a min to drill it out.

No Rich
Not changed anything other than one rear caliper. I changed to braided hoses when I did the conversion about 3 years ago.
This has got me totally stumped as the brake pedal feels fine without the engine running, its only when the engine is running that the pedal goes soft. I have bled loads of brakes and never come across this, it feels like there is air in there somewhere, but as to where I'm at a loss. I've bled the system 5 times now and used 4 bottles of DOT 4 fluid. It normally takes half a bottle and about 10 mins to do it.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2014 13:39 by bigoffroader. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Flameboi201
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2014 14:13 #119771 by Flameboi201
Replied by Flameboi201 on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding
Hi daft question but have you been on a test drive with it ?vw transporters are the same .pedal rocksolid with motor off . But start it up and if you press hard on the pedal it will go all the way to the floor . 2 min drive and they sort them selfs out . But this is my gess and i dont know how soft the pedal is on your jimny . Only you can make the choice if its safe to drive or not

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2014 17:21 #119782 by bigoffroader

Flameboi201 wrote: Hi daft question but have you been on a test drive with it ?vw transporters are the same .pedal rocksolid with motor off . But start it up and if you press hard on the pedal it will go all the way to the floor . 2 min drive and they sort them selfs out . But this is my gess and i dont know how soft the pedal is on your jimny . Only you can make the choice if its safe to drive or not

Yes been for a drive in it and they stop the truck, but there not right, way too soft to use on a daily basis as I need to

• Flameboi201
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2014 18:30 #119787 by Flameboi201
Replied by Flameboi201 on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding
Ok was just a idea . Was they ok before new caliper ?maybe u have a dud . As youve been through all the basics

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2014 19:45 #119792 by bigoffroader

Flameboi201 wrote: Ok was just a idea . Was they ok before new caliper ?maybe u have a dud . As youve been through all the basics

Yes everything worked as it should.
I changed the rear axle so had to disconnect the rear brakes, when I refitted them I noticed the passenger side caliper weeping from the handbrake seal so I replaced it with a new one.
Now no matter how much I bleed them they are still soft

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2014 11:16 #119857 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding
See if you can get a pressure bleader you need the one that clamps round the master cylinder and sits over the filler or push back all your caliper pistons and use a block of wood in each caliper to hold the piston in and try bleading it or take it to an mot station and see what brake has less effort

More
13 Jul 2014 11:28 #119858 by j999pre
Load valve? That has a bleed nipple on.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• horam_jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2014 08:18 #119898 by horam_jimny
Replied by horam_jimny on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding
Does it have ABS? Only thing I can think of as only seems an issue once the engine is running. If not I've no idea either!

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds