BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soggy brakes even after bleeding

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2014 19:28 #119604 by bigoffroader
Soggy brakes even after bleeding was created by bigoffroader
Hi
Has anyone got any advice on bleeding brakes on a jimny?
I've never had any problems before bleeding brakes on any car i have had, even when I first fitted the rear brake conversion on the jimny. I have just replaced the rear passenger side caliper and now I can't get the brake pedal to harden up.
It feels fine without the engine running, but once the engine is started the pedal drops and its a soft pedal
I have bled the brakes over and over but can't get them any better.

Any advice, before I revert to a drastic last resort and take it to the garage?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2014 19:51 - 09 Jul 2014 19:57 #119610 by dirtydogz
Have you bled the rear brake balance valve first, that has a bleed nipple on it.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2014 19:57 by dirtydogz.

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2014 20:15 #119620 by bigoffroader
Replied by bigoffroader on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding
Yes bled the balance valve

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2014 21:18 #119628 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:Soggy brakes even after bleeding
I put the rear wheels up on ramps then the fronts when bleeding. Air rises so this I figure this helps with helping the air along.

Have you bled in the right order, I.e. starting furthest away from the master cylinder and working your way in?

More
10 Jul 2014 11:25 #119669 by Busta
Possibly a seized caliper?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2014 17:14 #119701 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding
Clamp off all the hoses and remove one clamp at a time when bleading unless thay are braided ones

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2014 17:48 #119708 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding
Or if you don't know what you are doing take it to the garage and pass the liability to them in case something does go wrong.

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2014 18:14 #119710 by bigoffroader
Replied by bigoffroader on topic Re:Soggy brakes even after bleeding

GuardianAngel wrote: I put the rear wheels up on ramps then the fronts when bleeding. Air rises so this I figure this helps with helping the air along.

Have you bled in the right order, I.e. starting furthest away from the master cylinder and working your way in?

To save me putting it on ramps I used my drive which is very steep as I thought the same I did the rear the turned the truck round and did the front.
Yes bleeding them in the correct order, as I say I build and fitted the rear disc conversion a couple if years ago and fitted it with no problems

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2014 18:17 #119711 by bigoffroader

Busta wrote: Possibly a seized caliper?

No seized calipers as I've had them all off to check and they all work as they should

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2014 18:19 #119713 by bigoffroader

markyp2000 wrote: Clamp off all the hoses and remove one clamp at a time when bleading unless thay are braided ones

Unfortunately I have braided hoses all round, otherwise that would have been my next step
I am starting to wander if air has got into the master cylinder, and I need to bleed that?

• bigoffroader
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2014 18:22 #119715 by bigoffroader

GuardianAngel wrote: Or if you don't know what you are doing take it to the garage and pass the liability to them in case something does go wrong.

Not normally the case, it should be a simple case of 10 mins job done,as it has been in the past, just cant see what ive missed,as I say I built the conversion kit and fitted it with no problem.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2014 21:47 #119727 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Soggy brakes even after bleeding

bigoffroader wrote:

GuardianAngel wrote: Or if you don't know what you are doing take it to the garage and pass the liability to them in case something does go wrong.

Not normally the case, it should be a simple case of 10 mins job done,as it has been in the past, just cant see what ive missed,as I say I built the conversion kit and fitted it with no problem.

Sorry did not want to imply you didn't, but we do have posters here who clearly don't know and it's just better to be safe than sorry with brakes.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds