BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

suspension.

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 10:41 #93416 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic suspension.

jonesyba420 wrote:

Mick C wrote:

Yellostreak wrote: I think if your planning to put longer shocks on to get more droop then your running the risk of damaging your shock mounts if you get a serious compression.. just put on a 2" lift and be done with it.. you wont be sorry!

+1
All your suspension components have to work together - to get the best out of it you want everything matched up as best you can. A 2" lift on a Jimny is nothing drastic - it will look fine with your 195/80 KL71s and in my experience you should be ok without castor correction on +2". My blue runaraound Jimny has 2" lift along with 195/80 kl71s (and wheel spacers) and it drives bob on :)

can you post some pics of your blue one so I can see it with lift and tyres,how does it cope with spacers?i know mine in stock form wouldnt handle spacers will rub I recon.

Will try dig out some pics. The only thing I had to do after fitting the wheel spacers was remove the front mudflaps which were fitted at the time - the tyres just caught slightly on the fastener heads when turning. Although it doesn't get used in the rough very often it flexes up ok and doesn't catch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 10:42 - 27 Nov 2013 10:48 #93417 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic suspension.
So the speed at which the shock is compressed affects how firm it is not the position of the compressed shock? If that makes sense.so it doesnt get firmer the more the shock is compressed (at a constant speed) like a progressive spring does?

how do people rate the n2.0 over the es1000's or visa versa?

regarding caster correction on a 2" lift, why do ORA include them in the kit if its not needed? Would a reputable company like ora rip us off saying there needed when in fact there not?!

I have no mud flaps anyway so sounds like I could fit spacers aswell, how often do people find there fitting new wheel bearings after running with spacers?I undersrand they put alot more load on the bearings.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 10:48 by jonesyba420.

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 10:48 - 27 Nov 2013 10:49 #93419 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic suspension.
Don't know mate, all I can tell you is the blue one is fine without ;)

I like the RC N2.0 shocks - it's a great set up on the black Jimny, it's a much better ride offroad than I was expecting. Getting the tyre pressure down helps with the ride too.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 10:49 by Reloaded. Reason: cheese & crackers

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Nov 2013 10:49 #93420 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic suspension.

TomDK wrote: The Rough Country N2.0 shocks are far better for offroading, as they are much harder shocks.

Some users on this forum believe that shocks for offroad needs to be as soft as possible, which is as wrong as it can be. Try go just a little fast over bumps and such, and your shocks will easily bottom out. You'll want shocks that are hard enough to take a beating, without bottoming out all the time. Even more so, if you have a winch fitted.

That's not strictly true though is it? You can have too much damping to the point that the wheel is unable to react quickly enough to the terrain at a given speed effectively stopping the wheel putting power down. There are situations where this is not a problem such as fast road work but fast off road like in comp safari where the vehicle has to have more momentum to compensate for the suspension being too firm is not good, in other lower speed disciplines softer dampers are a real advantage such as rock climbing when soft supple suspension is less likely to throw you off line. Ultimately the resistance to impact is provided by the spring that is what they are for. The dampers are there to moderate the dissipation of the energy held in the spring over time in a controlled and predictable fashion. Tuning one system for all uses is basically impossible.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 10:51 #93421 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic suspension.

jonesyba420 wrote: So the speed at which the shock is compressed affects how firm it is not the position of the compressed shock? If that makes sense.so it doesnt get firmer the more the shock is compressed like a progressive spring does?

how do people rate the n2.0 over the es1000's or visa versa?

regarding caster correction on a 2" lift, why do ORA include them in the kit if its not needed? Would a reputable company like ora rip us off saying there needed when in fact there not?!

You can't in any way compare a shock to a spring.
But yes. The position of the compressed shock does not affect how firm it is, al least not with this type of shocks.

N2.0 shocks are much firmer than ES1000. If you want a shock for offroad, get the N2.0.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 10:57 #93422 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic suspension.

11/60 wrote:

TomDK wrote: The Rough Country N2.0 shocks are far better for offroading, as they are much harder shocks.

Some users on this forum believe that shocks for offroad needs to be as soft as possible, which is as wrong as it can be. Try go just a little fast over bumps and such, and your shocks will easily bottom out. You'll want shocks that are hard enough to take a beating, without bottoming out all the time. Even more so, if you have a winch fitted.

That's not strictly true though is it? You can have too much damping to the point that the wheel is unable to react quickly enough to the terrain at a given speed effectively stopping the wheel putting power down. There are situations where this is not a problem such as fast road work but fast off road like in comp safari where the vehicle has to have more momentum to compensate for the suspension being too firm is not good, in other lower speed disciplines softer dampers are a real advantage such as rock climbing when soft supple suspension is less likely to throw you off line. Ultimately the resistance to impact is provided by the spring that is what they are for. The dampers are there to moderate the dissipation of the energy held in the spring over time in a controlled and predictable fashion. Tuning one system for all uses is basically impossible.

Of course you're right.
But a shock that can deal with all of that costs a lot more. I mentioned Fox shocks before, which is the way to go if you want shocks that can do that.
For most users on this forum, including me, the N2.0 shock is okay. But there's a reason why the suspension is some of the most expensive parts on a comp truck.

And the N2.0 is in general much better offroad, than softer shocks, like the OME shock, ES1000 or standard suspension.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 11:00 #93423 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic suspension.

jonesyba420 wrote: I wasnt planing on lifting it merely fitting longer shocks to give more droop keepimg the wheels on the ground for longer ;)

How much would it limit upwards travel fitting +2" shocks but keeping original springs?

I suppose id be asking to much for someone with a 2"lift to experiment for me :whistle:

would a set up like im thinking be at all beneficial offroad even if there is a loss of upwards travel?

Take care fitting this set-up, with 2" shocks and your standard springs :
these springs could pop out when you having a droop from a wheel on some axle-twisters !

Castor correction is not really needed with a 2" lift but you will have more tension on the bushes and they can worn out much faster.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 11:28 #93425 by jonesyba420
I understand a spring is not comparable to a shock it was just an easy way to explain my thinking :laugh:

I am aware of possible dislocation which is why id think of fittin spring clamps ;)

so caster correction bushes would be advised to avoid having to replace bushes all the time?

My jimny is my daily driver and used for green laning so a compromise for the 2 is what id want. Laning with idiotmobil I noticed the ride quality looked much better on his didnt look like he was getting bounced/jolted around so much.i believe he uses es1000's.

is the n2.0 more of an offroad specific shock over the es1000?

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 12:03 #93426 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic suspension.
I heard that the rough country n2 have thinner shock bodies than the pro-comp es1000 and that at extreme angles the procomp can come into contact with springs, panard and such.. for that reason apart from ride the n2 is a better choice IMO

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 12:16 #93428 by jonesyba420
I heard that about the es9000 as they have a "fat body" didnt realise the es1000 suffered it aswell!! Are the n2.0's more comfortable (smoother ride quality) on and off road then the procomps?

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 12:30 #93429 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic suspension.
only saying what I heard... cannot comment on ride quality as only have N's which are fine for what I do..

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2013 12:54 #93430 by jonesyba420
Can anyone verify this issue regarding the es1000's? How do the n2's ride on and off road compared to the stock suspension?

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds