BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Something wrong with my rear prop. Picture within.

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2013 12:56 #83889 by Wiltec17
That's come out better than I imagined! I got a stretchy gator in the shed so il tackle this when I get a minute.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2013 16:58 #83913 by MWells
looks like a good repair.

• phippj1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2013 19:08 #84133 by phippj1
Did a clutch on mine on the weekend, my prop has no gaitervon it and looks as if it never has, doesnt make any noise but a alight worry though.

• Kats
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2021 21:55 #240415 by Kats
How is that repair holding up? Mine has the same issue and am planning to repair it this way. Also what grease should we use there? Is Cv joint grease good for that spot ?

More
01 Dec 2021 09:27 #240418 by Roger Fairclough
I would have a tendency to glue and clamp the rubber into place. CV grease is specific for the balls and tracks inside the unit. Just use a general purpose grease.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kats

More
01 Dec 2021 09:28 #240419 by Busta
CV grease will be perfect.

More
01 Dec 2021 11:33 #240421 by LesNewell
The joint is a CV so you should use CV grease. General purpose grease does not contain enough molybdenum disulphide (the black stuff in CV grease).
The standard boot is designed to keep the grease in place at high shaft speeds. That is why it goes inwards rather than outwards like an axle CV boot. A boot designed for axle CVs won't control the grease properly. However as you can't get the correct boot anything is better than a split boot. Pack in plenty of grease and hope for the best.

• Kats
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2021 13:39 #240426 by Kats
Alright! I will try it with cv grease as I was planning to do and hope for the best!
Thanks for the replies guys!!

More
01 Dec 2021 16:31 #240429 by Roger Fairclough
The reason I suggested a standard LM grade grease is based on the assumption that there is a tear in the original boot and that the tear is allowing the supply of grease to escape. The picture showing the grease that has escaped shows it to be black! which confirms it may be CV grease.

Here is the problem. If Kats fills the joint with CV grease by pushing it into the joint via the split, then it will just ooze back out as it is doing at the present time. But Kat has fitted a stretch type universal boot that is designed to operate at wheel speed not prop. shaft speed. A probable difference of 4 to 1. I used a similar boot on the prop of my LC and centrifugal force destroyed it within 5 miles. Add in the CV grease that will escape and create imbalance and the problem worsens.

I suggest a thorough clean of the original boot tear (don't use petrol, it can cause the rubber to expand ) and then , if practical, use a decent quality ( feather edged ) cycle tyre repair patch. Please don't laugh, I have successfully achieved a satisfactory repair doing this in the past.

Roger

• Kats
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2021 21:30 #240433 by Kats
Hmm that repair sounds tempting as well.
So you suggest to try to fix the already existing boot with the cycle tyre patch, instead of adding the universal boot on top of everything if i got it right. I was thinking to dismantle the axle and renew the grease as well since i guess some is gone throught the crack and then put the universal boot on top of it.
So if i go with your idea, should i dismantle it to check how much grease is left in there, propably clean it and add new grease to the cv joint and then patch the old boot thats torn and assemble everything back toghether? without adding the outside universal boot? Also what should i use to clean the old boot to avoid the expansion of rubber you mentioned?
And lastly i am adding a picture that shows the leak.
ibb.co/JRrh80C
The green arrow is the place i have found the leak, unfortunetly i dont have a better picture right now. You think it can be done with the tyre patch in my case? I will try to find the exact crack on the boot tomorrow if possible.
Sorry for the many questions and thank you so much for the replies and ideas!

More
02 Dec 2021 13:28 - 02 Dec 2021 13:30 #240444 by LesNewell
Is there a clamp around the boot where it meets the prop shaft? If there isn't a clamp grease could be simply leaking out where the rubber meets the shaft. A standard CV boot clip would fix that. Even a good sized cable tie done up tight would probably work. Just make sure the cable tie does not rub anywhere.

Generally when one of these boots splits you will see a crack running most or all of the way around the boot, with grease leaking out and covering everything. I'm not seeing the amount of grease you would expect from a split boot.

The upper grease stain looks to be from leakage around the prop flange. It's probably not enough to worry about it but if you are concerned you could undo the bolts, clean the flange and smear a small amount of silicone sealant on it before replacing it. Note you only need a small amount of sealant. Putting on lots just makes a mess and doesn't seal any better.

I'm not convinced a tyre patch is a good solution. CV boots are made from a different rubber than tyres and tubes. Tyre cement is unlikely to form a very good bond.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 13:30 by LesNewell.

• Kats
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2021 14:13 - 02 Dec 2021 14:16 #240445 by Kats
There was a clamp and it seemed to be leaking from there. I can try replacing the old one with a new and leave the old boot as it is since i couldnt find any crack in it, but i already tried to open it and it lost a lot of grease for the time being.So right now i am trying to split the whole thing and put some new grease in there but i cant seem to figure out how.
If i pull it to the direction of the red arrow in the picture below it doesnt come off. 
Do i need to remove this plastic cover i am pointing out with green? Any ideas of how to split that so i can put more grease and make sure the whole thing is fine?
ibb.co/3ktp4q0
Thank you so much guys
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 14:16 by Kats. Reason: make it more clear

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds