BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

cruise control

More
01 Feb 2014 21:05 - 01 Feb 2014 21:22 #102949 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic cruise control
I never actually used the wire but I believe it's the yellow/green wire.
My cruise control is currently not working due to the supplied clutch microswitch failing. I've identified one on ebay as a replacement but as I'm not doing any great mileage I haven't got round to fitting one yet.
Just note that on mine I had to cut the loop wire on the control box(alters input revs) but if you are using the car pick up instead of the prop magnets you may not need to do this.
I'd be interested to know how you get on using the car impulses.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 01 Feb 2014 21:22 by gilburton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Heavicol
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2014 20:07 #103069 by Heavicol
Replied by Heavicol on topic cruise control
Many thanks for that. I'll make a purchase and let you know how I get on.

• johna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2016 09:05 #171784 by johna
Replied by johna on topic cruise control
I know that this is a very old thread but has anybody found the wires to hook into instead of using the magnets.thanks.

• Beaverhausen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2019 09:38 #215263 by Beaverhausen
Replied by Beaverhausen on topic cruise control
Hello gilburton - thanks for such a comprehensive explanation of how you installed your cruise control.

I've just bought a 2006 Jimny to tide me over the winter but I've decided I have to fit a CC and no local garages seem able to do it - so I'm going to give it a go myself!

Everything seems clear, and I'm glad the original photos are still showing. Just a couple of questions if that's ok

1. What was the vacuum connection linked/spliced into?
2. You mentioned "I'll tell you where the switch wires go on the Jimny." - would you mind? I'm guessing it's something useful to know otherwise you wouldn't have called it out.

Thanks in advance. I'm googling where to buy the Waeco system now.

More
01 Nov 2019 11:05 - 01 Nov 2019 11:09 #215267 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic cruise control
I think it was the vacuum pipe/tube on the carb. Just cut and fit a T piece.
To be honest it's a long time ago now and i can't remember lol Basically you just run the Brown?? wire down to the clutch switch and across to the brake switch so that any movement of the clutch or brake pedals break the circuit and disconnects the CC immediately.
There is also an off switch on the control but,in reality, I just used to nudge the clutch pedal if I was wanting to slow down eg coming up to slower traffic.
The wires for the gearbox/speedo pulse come through under the centre console so if you remove that you should find the wire bundle that contains the yellow/green wire.
As I used the magnet on the prop I ran that wire up through the gearstick hole.
There is ample length wire in the kit.
As long as you are able to use a spanner and maybe able to form simple brackets etc and can read basic wiring illustrations it's reasonably straight forward.
The hardest part is getting the clutch switch fitted(some modern cars may have one anyway) and finding live connections via the ignition switch.If I was doing it again I would remove the drivers seat for better access.
Apart from the mechanical parts under the bonnet I ran all the components loosely inside across the car to get a better idea of where you want to mount the various boxes etc and I actually tried it out before final fitting.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 01 Nov 2019 11:09 by gilburton.

• Beaverhausen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2019 14:09 #215625 by Beaverhausen
Replied by Beaverhausen on topic cruise control
I caved in the end, and Motormods of Tewkesbury fitted an AP500 with CM-35 controller today.

Buying the unit and attempting (badly) to fit it seemed well worth the £450+vat.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds