BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How to fit a 2"or 3 spring lift.+Wiring spotlights

More
08 Oct 2012 19:55 - 08 Oct 2012 19:58 #49765 by dirtydogz
Don't you mean one of the front springs is longer, if so It go on the drivers side.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 19:58 by dirtydogz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• antunovich
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2012 20:16 - 08 Oct 2012 20:28 #49769 by antunovich
I cant remember haha maybe it was the front
So the back springs should be the same length?
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 20:28 by dirtydogz.

More
08 Oct 2012 20:39 #49774 by dirtydogz
Sorry Josh just been on Auszookers so just got back, yes the back spring should be the same length.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:

• antunovich
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2012 20:45 #49776 by antunovich
interesting. the old jimny it was on used to lean a little to the left. i will check it out this weekend i am pretty sure there was a difference...maybe a manufacturing fault.
thanks for ya help i will let you know

More
08 Oct 2012 20:55 #49777 by dirtydogz
That's ok mate we are here to help good luck.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)

More
16 Dec 2012 08:42 #55599 by pgatensuk
Just followed the dogz procedure to fit a 2" Trialmaster kit to my Jimny. Certainly points you the right direction.

A few additional pointers that may also help. My Jimny is a 2005 soft top VVT with ABS

Rear axle notes:
I didn't get the rear shock relocation brackets (as recommended) and to avoid cross threading the the bottom mounts, I compressed the rear shock (very easy to do) with tie wraps to hold the shock compressed.Then attached the bottom bolt first. Once nearly tight, I located the top shock mount and put that bolt in. I think the use of the relocation brackets will make fitting easier.

If you don't do this, you run the risk of cross threading the bottom threaded mount on the axle.

Front axle notes:
Both of the top nuts were rusted and needed cutting off with hacksaw/ small grinder.

When dropping the front axle, I found that the vacuum pipes to the driver side front hub were under strain and had to be release.

Other than it a fairly straight forward job managed on my own.

The secret to making the process easy is get the axle stands on the chassis in the correct place and heigh enough. I found that the small Halfords axle stands needed to be on the highest setting and needed extra timber blocks to get the car high enough.

Still got to fit the castor correction mounts.

Many thanks to dogz for the original post.

Cheers
Paul

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle
The following user(s) said Thank You: dirtydogz

• jfkenpoman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2013 17:39 #58517 by jfkenpoman
dont suppose there is a video showing the fitting of the 2" lift kit B)

• GWR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2013 19:25 #63396 by GWR
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and am in the process of fitting a 3" lift. I started at the rear, and fitting the extended brake line first then dropped the shocks and springs out. No problem so far :) then I came to fitting the relocation brackets they didn't fit :dry: the tube which is meant to fit to the original bracket was around 1cm to long on both sides! So I set about it first with my hacksaw then with the angle grinder. Has anyone else had this problem or did I receive the wrong ones? Anyway they are now on as are the springs and shocks, so far so good. Next job will be to fit the adjustable pan hard rod then begin the front end. Got some modular wheels with Sahara tyres on waiting for me too finish the lift :cheer:

More
20 Feb 2013 21:22 #63442 by dirtydogz
Good to hear you got the relocation brackets to fit on your jimny in the end, and I hope my guide to how to fit a lift is helping you, best of luck with fitting the rest of the parts.
DIRTYDOGZ

2002 JLX Soft Top B)

• GWR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2013 19:37 - 21 Feb 2013 19:38 #63543 by GWR
Your guide was very helpful thanks. I managed to get the rear end mostly done this afternoon although I still have the castor correction bushes to fit and I suspect that is going to be a tough job lol. I took it for a test drive to make sure the bikes were ok. No castor correction and without the steering damper fitted and it was scary :ohmy: the steering was appalling and I kept veering to the right! I won't t be driving it until the rest of the bits sre fitted, I don't think my nerves could take it.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 19:38 by GWR. Reason: Predictive text!

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2013 20:24 #63552 by reaper

GWR wrote: Hi guys, I am new to the forum and am in the process of fitting a 3" lift. I started at the rear, and fitting the extended brake line first then dropped the shocks and springs out. No problem so far :) then I came to fitting the relocation brackets they didn't fit :dry: the tube which is meant to fit to the original bracket was around 1cm to long on both sides! So I set about it first with my hacksaw then with the angle grinder. Has anyone else had this problem or did I receive the wrong ones? Anyway they are now on as are the springs and shocks, so far so good. Next job will be to fit the adjustable pan hard rod then begin the front end. Got some modular wheels with Sahara tyres on waiting for me too finish the lift :cheer:

Any pics mate im strugleing to think how the brackets were wrong

• Richard666
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2013 21:25 #74976 by Richard666
How much did all that cost just trying to get some idea on how much it will cost to do 2" lift

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds