BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 17:42 - 07 Nov 2011 17:45 #25313 by Back in Black
Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please was created by Back in Black
Hi,

My Jimny has recently started to approach stalling point when I pull up at junctions etc (when its been running for a while, not when its cold). The car starts and runs no problem, but sometimes when I pull up the revs drop right off (worse with the lights on), I just blip the throttle and it picks up again to just over 1k, but then drops off again after a minute. Today the dash lights have started to light up when the revs drop off. Not sure if it will actually stall (not the sort of test to try during rush hour traffic on a M40 round about)!

Does this sound like a simple increase to the idle speed (it will sit just over 1k quite happily on idle usually) or is this something more sinister?
Last edit: 07 Nov 2011 17:45 by Back in Black. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• r_ogilvy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 18:05 #25316 by r_ogilvy
Replied by r_ogilvy on topic Re: Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please
iv had that problem on a car of mine, turned out to be an idle control valve, which i think a jimny does have one, could be worth unpluging it when your engine trying to tick over and see if it changes the idle, thats how i got told on my car, got a new one and it was fine, or take it off and clean it up and try again, this wasnt a jimny tho!!

More
07 Nov 2011 19:58 #25329 by facade
check that the pipe that goes from the inlet manifold to the solenoid valves for the vacuum hubs (below the battery) hasn't split or come off.
A leak here will affect the idle.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2011 07:24 #25337 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please
The revs on mine sometimes drop at junctions, doesnt actually cut out but you can feel it struggle a bit.

I also have a fault code indicating the front lambda is faulty.

Tried unplugging it the other day and it drove just the same but i never noticed it try to cut out.

Give that a go, see if its the same.

• Sandez
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2011 19:26 #25365 by Sandez
I have a similar issue where it struggles at idle (intermittent problem). It used to be really bad, almost to the point of stalling, but now its only a minor rough/unsteady idle at times. I have replaced alot of parts to get to where I'm at, most having an improvement.

I have replaced:
>Ignition coils and leads - Made no difference for me but others have had an effect
>Water temp sensor (due to displaying an error code) - No change to idle issue, but warms up quicker (considering the idle issue its not necessarily a good thing yet)
>Crank sensor - No change
>PCV Valve - Slight improvement
>Spark plugs - No change
>Oxygen sensor & throttle body service - Made a big difference, changed it from almost stalling to just a minor rough/unsteady idle (unsure which of the 2 made the difference).

I would suggest first removing the ignition coils and checking them thoroughly to see if there are any hairline cracks in them, if so have it replaced. Check this page for info

If that fails I would check the PCV valve, as it is easy to check and is cheap to replace. Check here for info.

Failing those, my mate who is a mechanic and who serviced my throttle body said (before the throttle body service) that other cars he dealt with, with similar issues, turned out to be the IAC valve. The rough idle section in the service manual doesn't mention the IAC as a culprit but mentions the TP sensor, so my guess would be either of these 2.

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2011 17:58 #25471 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please
Thank you all for the responses. I was having a look in the engine bay along the lines of the advice given - looking at/checking leads, pipes and connectors. I have not resolved the issue but did discover two things that may be contributing:

the throttle cable is VERY slack, I didn't have any tools with me so couldn't take up the slack. Using the throttle on the way home I finally noticed how far the pedal moves before anything happens - amazing what you get used to over time....

More worrying is an oil leak from the rear right of the rocker cover - oil has coated several connectors - one connected to the exhaust manifold and another that I'm not sure what it does/goes. Looks like a new gasket will be required in the fairly near future! There is enough oil coming out to pool on the gearbox case.

I have downloaded a copy of the service manual and will check the throttle cable adjustment. Someone at work is bringing in his reader to see if there are any error codes logged. Then I will start working through all the advice given and try and narrow it down. Off for a day in the mud on Sunday, so it'll have to wait.

wanted to spend my money on a 3" suspension lift!! DOH.

More
09 Nov 2011 21:48 - 09 Nov 2011 21:51 #25497 by Foxtrot
My 2007 Jimny has had a lumpy idle for the last 6 months, it is only when the engine has warmed up, the tacho doesn't drop significantly and there are no engine lights on the dash. If I put it in 1st gear and thrash it briefly it seems to make the lumpy idle less frequent for a few days.I've tried different petrol stations and put in some redex injector cleaner in case it is bad petrol and I've still no idea what is causing it. It looks like it is a common problem on the Jimny :(
Last edit: 09 Nov 2011 21:51 by Foxtrot.

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2011 22:25 #29335 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please
What you need to do is remove the throttle body completely and give it a real good clean, also attached to the throttle body is th IAC (idle air control valve) this is probably the one causing the trouble, it is probably sticking. Give that a good clean too, you should be able to here it click/rattle if you twist and shake it quickly.

Give that a try, from how your describing it that sounds like the culprit .

Let us know how ou get on.

Steve.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2011 23:14 #29341 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please
I agree with the two others who have mentioned it - idle control valve is what I'd look at first!

Si

More
28 Dec 2011 11:30 #29361 by Foxtrot
I cured my lumpy idle by changing out the PCV valve, £17:00 :woohoo:

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2011 11:52 #29363 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: Nearly stalling on idle - any tips please
Good stuff, where did you get the PCV valve from ?

Steve.

More
28 Dec 2011 17:29 - 28 Dec 2011 17:32 #29377 by Foxtrot
Hi Steve, I ordered it from the Suzuki dealership Part No 18118-54D00, thats the old PCV valve in the picture but gives you an idea what it looks like. John

Attachment DSCF0414-400_2011-12-28-2.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Dec 2011 17:32 by Foxtrot.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds