BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Winch Power Cable

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2011 14:56 #10614 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Winch Power Cable

a18suf wrote: ahh its not the end of the world, we rolled it over and i carried on up the hill, i wont be making the same mistake again lol.

you need a roll cage to protect those panels ............ oh and your head :silly:

amanda smiley = :side:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2011 16:21 #10619 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Winch Power Cable
Im planning on an external cage, but im sure I will roll it beforehand!

• alexb25
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2011 13:38 #10706 by alexb25
Replied by alexb25 on topic Re: Winch Power Cable
I bought a new ComeUp 6000lbs. The cables are 25mm sq for this winch. If others from this forum agrees, you can consider 8A per mm sq. So in my case the cables will support 25x8=200A. Of course I,ll use the winch rarely (non extreme conditions). For extreme use when the winch operate at full load I think will be better to use cables 35mm sq wich support 280A.
In your case 10000lbs it's almost double than mine, so a 50mm sq (support 400A) it will be enough.
It is important also the lenght of the cable (shorter cable is better) and put a heavy duty isolator between winch and battery.

More
06 Feb 2011 10:15 #11080 by tree fella
Replied by tree fella on topic Re: Winch Power Cable
ok, winch ratings are based on pulling a load against a set resistance (simulating a slight incline & a tiny bit of mud) and as a rule of thumb a 6000lb rated pull should lift 3000lb that said many munufacturors over-state the power of their winches. IMO superwinch are one of the more truthfull when it comes to pull ratings. I had a epi9 on my jimny and managed to stall it penty when trying to winch against the edge of big pits etc. It would easily winch my jimny with a 800kg chipper on the tow bar with all 6 wheels locked up a 40% tarmac hill on a single line pull (i was trying to winch out a stump) To get your winch performing to its max you will need a BIG battery & prob the engine running, a high quality contactor to eliminate/minimalise resistance & apropriatly rated cable, it doesnt mater if you buy a 6000lb pull or a 18000lb pull the motor may well be the same & will draw the same current at max line pull regardless, it's the gearing that differs so check the draw at max line pull with your winch manufac before deciding on cable. I like to have a winch that will more than lift my jimny clean off the ground but others prefer to reduce the likeley hood of damage by having a lower rated line pull which may also give them a quicker spool when not under load. bought off this kid before & can rcomend: cgi.ebay.co.uk/PVC-Hi-Flex-COPPER-BATTER...&hash=item1c15d1588d

More
06 Feb 2011 10:36 #11083 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Winch Power Cable
Just spend some money and get proper thick 50mm sq wire and don't muck about. You'll then know you have plenty thick enough wire and no worries.

It's not worth mucking about with lesser wire wondering if it will be ok. This is one of those important things you must get right, like having your winch held on properly. Do it right, do it once, regardless of who got away with using less for x £'s less.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• bryandenham
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2011 10:51 #11085 by bryandenham
Replied by bryandenham on topic Re: Winch Power Cable
:( having seen a ball hitch rip off and go straight through a landy rear door and exit through the windscreen between the driver and passenger and also having seen a kinetic rope recovery rip a winch mounting straight off a truck I TOTALLY ENDORSE Kirkynut's comments.
Do it once and do it right.

BeeDee:S

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds