BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front Panhard Rod Bolt Damaged Thread Fix.

More
21 Jan 2011 00:11 #10075 by kirkynut
I have had a problem with the thread on the captive nut and I read on the front page withthe piccies of their recent Greenlaning trip that Gary has suffered it too now. Fortunately I was in the carpark at Slindon and Gary only met with a bank.

The issue is that the front panhard rod bolt on the axle end goes into a captive nut which is captive inside the pressed metal that is the spring mount.

This nut must have been welded onto the inside of the spring mount before the spring mount was welded to the axle in the factory and there is no access to it now.

If the thread on that captive nut get's stripped for whatever reason, you are left in a pickle.

The previous owner of my Jimny lifted it and fitted the KAP 3" lift kit including adjustable panhard rods. They must have stripped the thread in this captive nut and decided in their infinate wisdom to hold the bolt from unscrewing with the tiniest blob of weld. I had not had cause to undo this bolt and therefore had no noticed it.

The weld broke and the bolt fell out and I had no steering - scary stuff in the car park at Slindon - would be even more so on the road.

As a fix, a friend turned down a larger bolt - I think he turned down a 14mm thread to 12mm leaving thread near the head of the bolt.

I got the original captive nut re-tapped by another friend who is a fabricator and he welded a nut to suit the new bolt on the outside of the panhard rod braket on the axle.

This meant that it now threaded onto the captive nut and the welded on nut on the outside of the bracket on the axle.

I now have a good second hand axle so no longer have this fix in place but it was a good fix.

The only thing to bear in mind was that the thread tapped onto the end of the new bolt to match the captive nut (I think 1.25 pitch metric fine 12mm from memory) was different to the thread on the new bolt that threaded intot he new nut welded onto the outside of the bracket.

This meant that the threads would run in differently but they went in smooth enough and it tightened nicely so I was happy. The head of the bolt might need turning down to miss the panard rod on full droop.

This was alot of faffing and I was lucky to have a band of friends who have the skills and equipment to do it all for me.

It was alot cheaper and less effort than changing the axle - which I later did anyway as I had either bent it or bent the kingpins and the new (second hand) axle complete was only £75!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2011 02:02 #10076 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Front Panhard Rod Bolt Damaged Thread Fix.
when i changed my panhard bushes i found that the same bolt on mine had a problem too the captive bolt welds had broke so i had to cut the bolt out & cut the bracket off to get panhard rod off then i welded bracket back up & managed to get a new bolt in with a nut on as there is a slight gap to get the nut in & hold it with a magnet to get it started & then get a spanner on it

it was very fiddley but i managed & ive got to get it back off again soon so i can make a adjustable rod

More
21 Jan 2011 22:59 #10112 by kirkynut
You did better than me then, I couldn't get a nut of the right size in the gap behind the nut as there wasn't room between the old nut and the spring mount.

It's a silly design but we've got around it!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2011 12:35 #10119 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Front Panhard Rod Bolt Damaged Thread Fix.
maybe i just managed to get the nut in cus the captive nut had broke off on mine so gave a little more room but i was not easy to get in still took me a while to get the nut on right

More
22 Jan 2011 13:22 #10124 by kirkynut
Ah yeah, my captive nut was still captive! You can't get anything in their to try to bash it out if the welds were weak either.

Now you've got to do it again! I feel for you!

Kirkynut

More
28 Nov 2020 16:12 #230462 by Dirtbird
NUTS
Removing the axle to day and guess what that bas...d captive nut. so had a rummage on here and looks like cut the spring holder and weld the nut back into place and weld the bracket back onto the spring holder.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
01 Dec 2020 22:25 #230575 by kirkynut
Is the thread so knackered the bolt thread just spins in the nut ir do you think you could tap it enough for the thread to bite. Then maybe make a hole in the top head for lockwire?

Or do what the person before me did and weld the bolt head in place with a few tacks, but better than they did!

I'm breaking mine at the moment and at some point in the hopefully not too distant future I'll have the non abs axles for sale if you're near Essex but I don't have a timescale and you need it now I'm guessing.

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds