BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

General Grabbers AT2 or Kuhmo KL71

• gazert
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2011 21:41 #9837 by gazert
Replied by gazert on topic Re: General Grabbers AT2 or Kuhmo KL71
I have KL71's and I have done 10k on them since march and still have at least 10mm of tread!
Very good on road dry or wet.
Excelent off road. My mate has a jimny with special tracks and they ain't as good on road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2011 22:24 - 16 Jan 2011 22:26 #9841 by JonathonMarshall
A18suf's are huge which is the issue she has with them but clearly they do very well. If she discovers that the poor economy is due to an engine management issue then it'll be between them and the 71's Are they noisy/did you notice much in the way of economy difference Gazert?
The only thing that bothers me, despite work is now just a couple miles and not an issue, I do a 300m round trip motorway run once or more a month so I NEED them to be spot on road wise....else i'll just not be as ambitious off road.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2011 22:26 by JonathonMarshall.

More
17 Jan 2011 08:17 #9851 by kirkynut

darthloachie wrote: Special tracks can get exciting on the road if its wet

I think Kirkynut has the Kuhmos and reckons they are good on road as well as on mud

I do indeed have Kumho KL71's and think they are a great all rounders.

They have to be one of the best mud terrains for road use, I've not had Cooper Discoverer stt's or the new bfg muds which all the mags rate for off and on road so I can't offer a comparison.

Off road Kumho's clog up in the mud and don't clear aswell as extreme muds like special tracks but if you saw what mine got me round on Sunday last week you'd buy them.

I couldn't get up a couple of steep smoothed off by other cars banks that special tracks would have done and got a wheel stuck in a gooey hole a special track might have got me out of but otherwise they made me think twice about getting some more extreme tyres.

I think no matter what you get if it's not extreme you'll be disappointed as you'll not be able to do what you used to.

Kl71's are cheaper than the others so I would either buy them and accept you can't do what you used to or keep your at's and get a second set of wheels and some special tracks.

I'd get more wheels and special tracks. Won't take long to swap each time and you've already accepted a lay out in cash for new tyres and your at's won't make much second hand.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
17 Jan 2011 08:57 #9857 by mcjimny
My mate runs bfg mt's on his ranger and at's on his landcruiser. They command the premium for good reason. They've been on for over 2 years and show barely any signs of wear, even on the shoulders.

He had the coopers on one of his other trucks before and rates the bfg's over them.

People i know who have the kumho's rate them in terms of value for money.

I've no direct experience of them myself only the grabbers, and i would say that the bfg at's and grabbers are the most aggressive all terrain tread.

I'm also in the same position as others in that my grabber at's are up to be replaced, they've got plenty of road miles left in them but a couple are now too low for off road use, i'm happy to compromise a little in both areas but ultimately i need something more aggressive off road. If my at's were better i'd get a second set of extreme tyres but as i need to replace them im just going for one set. The only thing that disappoints me with the kumho's is theres no pose appeal, they'd look awesome with the white lettering.

Also on a side note, is it just me or have tyres got really expensive all of a sudden??

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2011 09:30 #9861 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: General Grabbers AT2 or Kuhmo KL71
Another good mud which is well priced is the maxxis buckshot mudders. Look great and meant to be good on road. Think gromit has them in 235/75.

• gazert
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2011 10:44 #9864 by gazert
Replied by gazert on topic Re: General Grabbers AT2 or Kuhmo KL71
On the KL's I havnt noticed any major problems on economy and I can throw it round on the Tarmac like a goodun!!!

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds