BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

mud virgin !!!!!!

• clunkers
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2011 21:18 #9345 by clunkers
mud virgin !!!!!! was created by clunkers
hi all
im looking to take my jimny into some mud and water but worry about damaging my little truck as i use it for work and stuff and cant really afford to break it,
i really want to try green laning so if any one knows of anywhere in north wales where can give it a bash let me know.

[attachment:1]Photo-0252.jpg[/attachment]

p.s. iv never done this before.........

many thanks

clunkers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
10 Jan 2011 21:32 #9349 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
Hi clunkers, if you buy yourself an OS map of the area you want to lane in - I'd start with maps that cover south of Llangollen and Betws-y-Coed. Cheapest to buy them from Dave at www.bits4vits.co.uk, we go laning together and pictures of yesterdays laning trip can be seen here: www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/greenlaning-09/01/11/blog_42.html
If you look at the map you'll see there are 'BOATS' (Byways Open to All Traffic) marked as little crosses which you can legally drive as long as there isnt an A4 notice at the end of the lane saying its closed. Other routes are harder to find and ideally you need to find someone local to you with a similar type of car with similar mods and get some self recovery gear such as strops, ground anchor (stake type is cheap and usefull if slow to use) and a 'Tirfor' hand winch.
You'll find though that people lane with friends and getting into that group of friends is hard to do unless one drops out and gives up laning as they'll stick to 4 or 5 cars maximum in a convoy. I'd hesitate to mark up routes for you on a map in case you go out there and get stuck - but i do know most in the LLangollen area quite well.

Gary

More
10 Jan 2011 23:11 #9359 by andyw
Replied by andyw on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
Hi,

Enjoy the jimny, just get some mud tyres onit, do yourself a favour and keep out deepish water, get some axle breathers on and route them high up in the engine bay.

In Wales even greenlaning you can come across deep water, so breathers are handy anyway, then it comes to the snorkle, then the list goes on and the pockets become deeper.

Honest, I'm not trying to put you off,:ohmy: ;)

More
11 Jan 2011 16:18 #9388 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
Best way to avoid any breakages is to make sure the truck is in tip top condition (servicing and lubricamts etc)and then drive with a little mechanical sympathy. Be aware of the size of your truck and that you can't always follow the same route as bigger trucks. IMHO small less powerful 4x4's make you a better driver off road, you learn to read the terrain better. Take your time, theres no harm in getting out and inspecting the route before you drive it. I use mine daily too, i had a few breakages but these were due mainly to my heavy right foot. I got sick of fixing something after every day off road so take more care, i tackle most things but i'm more considered about it now.

4 most important things imho, maintenence, good recovery equipment(shackles/straps) more aggressive tyres (AT's at least) and then friends! Don't go laning alone.

If you're not sure of what your trucks capable of i'd have a crack at a p&p day so that you can tackle a variety of obstacles, spend some time watching others before going out yourself. Most sites there will be plenty of people happy to come round with you and give you a bit of advice. You'll make some good contacts and meet people who can show you the local lanes.

Most of all stay safe and enjoy your truck.:)

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• clunkers
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2011 22:12 - 17 Jan 2011 22:13 #9894 by clunkers
Replied by clunkers on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
thanks for all the tips and advice one more thing though.........
how do i convince my wife that im not going to destroy my jimny
she wont let me go and play after school eerrrr i mean work..:woohoo:
Last edit: 17 Jan 2011 22:13 by clunkers.

More
18 Jan 2011 08:49 #9908 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
Find a local pay and play day and take her down, most sites offer non damaging routes and give the oppportunity to spectate. You can't guarantee no damage but if you take care and don't try anything too extreme or beyond yours and the trucks abilities you should be fine. Any breakages or damage i've suffered were as a result of my own stupidity.
Then the only thing after is to check and clean everything when you're home to prevent further problems from mud grinding in bearings and brakes etc... clean, inspect and regrease.

If you are capable of fixing things yourself, then that helps. I just tell her that everything can be fixed easily, it just doesn't go down that well when i have to use her car!

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2011 09:18 #9912 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
Ive just had my first day offroad, was verrrrrry muddy so tough going but it was a pay play day so take your time, look at what your about to drive over/through and youl be fine. Just do small bits at a time.

Then sit back and watch others, ignore the stupid ones and take note.

Get home and think, oh ive got to clean that?

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2011 12:12 #9918 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!

biggaz wrote: Then sit back and watch others, ignore the stupid ones and take note.

No - you've definitely got to watch the stupid ones as it's funnier :)

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2011 12:21 #9919 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
Oh yeh, watch them and do opposite!

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2011 19:11 #9999 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: mud virgin !!!!!!
Oi !, who you calling stupid :-)

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds