BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More
09 Jun 2009 16:29 #784 by JonathonMarshall
Newbie was created by JonathonMarshall
Hi all, just joined as i intend on getting a Jimny later in the year. I had a land rover up until April but had to sell as I was unemployed...then I wasn't two weeks later but anyway. I am a member of a 4x4 Response Organisation - 4x4 Response North East and this is the main reason why i'm so keen to get something 4x4 by winter time as we struggle for members as it is. To begin with it will only be getting new tyres and snorkel and possibly a lift in addition to amber lightbar and CB but i intend to go on to off road it properly as it will be a second car. I do have a few concerns with the Jimny as i've never driven one - on or off road - and know it's worlds apart from the landy. I've waffled but i look forward to seeing present trucks improve and gather idea's. And if there's any north east or north west members i'd love to see your vehicles and what they can do! Cheers, Jonathon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2009 15:51 #818 by JonathonMarshall
Replied by JonathonMarshall on topic Re:Newbie
Anybody?? :blush:

More
20 Jun 2009 20:34 #821 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Newbie
Not in your neck of the woods, were down south. I would say that aside from the size limitations the jimny suffers from, its more than capable for the 4x4 response role. Ive seen some pretty ropey Frontera's in 4x4 response clubs and to be honest, I rate our Jimny above all of them in every role except the ability to carry more than 2 passengers. Lifted and with a snorkel with the correct choice of tyres and the ability to "whaft" across the terrain will leave other offroaders floundering.

Check out ooky and ooky Jimny on Youtube for some of the things weve done inour Jimny's .. plus there are some links on this site to others who have similar setups.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
21 Jun 2009 09:51 #823 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Newbie
Jonathon,

there are quite a few northerner on here, I am sure one will surface shortly.

As stated above, the key advantage and disadvantage of a Jimny is its size. Small and light enough to go anywhere and therefore possible to work on easily (you wont be crushed under the weight of an axle or gearbox) Realistically only seats 2 in full offroad prepared versions as the seats give way to take your gear and you are not going to recover lorries from ditches with it. Although you can rescue your Landrover mates the weight and the clutch are against you.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
23 Jun 2009 11:11 #857 by JonathonMarshall
Thank you very much to you both. I have had a little think and I am wondering if I could get away with taking one of the back seats out and having something of an L shaped load bay. This would perhaps include some storage box, perhaps on runners in place of a rear seat. Otherwise it fits the bill. If there is an event in particular where I could see a few motors, particularly yours Martin and Ooky's as I've read interesting things about both of your vehicles on here I would love to attend. Mind every thread/article on here makes fascinating reading!! Thanks again, Jonathon

More
23 Jun 2009 17:15 #861 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Newbie
Mine is "L" shaped, I have removed the seat from behind the driver and left in the seat behind the passenger.

I am afraid I am "down south" although we have always promised a trip to Tong one day.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
23 Jun 2009 17:42 #864 by JonathonMarshall
How far is down south? :) I like a drive and at 50-60mpg it ain't all that expensive anymore. If you do go to Tong i'll come down - its only a couple hours drive if that:) And yeah that was the set up I was thinking of.

More
30 Jun 2009 09:12 #906 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Newbie
Well, Im a little further south than Martin ... At present my usual playground (Salisbury Plain) is more akin to a desert, im thinknking of getting the spare wheels fitted with some Nice AT's and keeping the Muds when this drought is over.
If you are ever down the extreme south ... Im happy to take you out ... See if we can get stuck :)

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
01 Jul 2009 12:54 #911 by jonplace
Replied by jonplace on topic Re:Newbie
hi jonathan
i'm from your neck of the woods, sunderland to be precise
i've a on / offroad jimny, i'll be out in it this weekend if you want to come along and see what they can do - you wont be disapointed
:)

More
01 Jul 2009 15:31 #912 by JonathonMarshall
Aye that'd be fab mate! I'm just down in Chester-le-street. I'm not sure whether I can PM anybody but i'll try. Nice looking Jimny btw, theres a similar hardtop knocking round here somewhere.

More
01 Jul 2009 16:15 #913 by Jamie
Replied by Jamie on topic Re:Newbie
Hi Jonathan,

I go to Tong very regular in fact there was the 4x4 Response from Hull
there a few week's ago having a practice.

If ever you are down this way give me a bell your more than welcome to jump
in mine and have a go i am a Marshall at Tong and can take you down
some fantastic tracks that the regulars arn't allowed down.

I live in Castleford nr Leeds so a bit of a trek i know

Here is my truck

More
01 Jul 2009 18:10 #914 by JonathonMarshall
Yeah Tong's a good site, went last year to watch a winch challenge. The problem i have with that is that i work just about every weekend 6-10am so i'd have to either book it off or get the rota's rearranged. I'd come straight from work but i wouldn't be down till 12 which is a bit of a pain not to mention late. AND i seem to recall the car park being well non 4x4 unfriendly - my poor pug might not like it.
I'm often down my dads in Bolton so I could pop in on the way down or up no bother

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds