BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Can you plug Tom Tom into lighter socket?

More
16 May 2009 18:56 #709 by Liz
Hi folks,

I haven't actually got a sat nav yet. Always put off getting one as I wasn't sure it would work with my Mondeo heated windscreen.

Since the Jimny doesn't have a heated screen I may just get one now.

BUT the manual which I skim read tonight says not to use the lighter socket for running eletrical items!!! Is that just one of those silly general type warnings like "Do not operate the vehicle with the seats fully reclined!!!!" Or are they correct? In the Mondeo I've alwasya used it for the car vac etc.

What do you good folks do? Run car vacs and sat navs from that lighter socket or not? Would be grateful for some views.

Many thanks,

Liz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2009 19:04 #710 by mlines
I think is just one of those silly warnings. I run a radio transmitter and various other accessories including a high power hand held spotlamp from mine.

In my other car it doesn't even come with the cigarette lighter insert, it just has a spring loaded cover with "12Volt Accessories" written on it!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 May 2009 19:10 #711 by Liz
Thanks Martin - you're a star!

More
20 May 2009 06:51 #712 by ooky_123
I know on the Mercedes C class, the heated screen caused issues with my TomTom One, I now drive a Mondeo and the ford Heated screen doesnt cause any noticable issues with TomTom.

At the end of the day a Lighter socket is just a 12 Volt outlet.. the lighter bit has the coil to get hot when the circuit is made. :)

I ran a second outlet to the boot of the Jimny for an accessory powerfeed too.

Jason

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
20 May 2009 15:17 #718 by Liz
Thanks Jason. That's good to know. if it will work with both cars then that doubles the justification to get one!

Cheers,

Liz

More
22 May 2009 18:50 #731 by ronm
I have used a Tom Tom for about three years and never a problem.Its just an accessory socket,possibly with an amp limitation which on most cars is about 10amp(check fuse in handbook)

More
03 Jun 2009 16:18 #771 by Liz
Thanks Ron. I've got my sat nav now and it works with the Mondeo as well which is a bonus.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds