BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyre Pressures

More
17 Apr 2023 16:25 #248657 by madman
Tyre Pressures was created by madman
Hi everyone 
I running my Jimny on  215/75/15 B F Goodrich T/A KO 2 All Terrain 97S   tyres , can anyone suggest what pressure suits these for road use.
Many thanks
Ken.

Man of many machines small and large , 2001 Kap Jimny and 2023 LCV 2" lift and very happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonesie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2023 18:47 #248663 by Jonesie
Replied by Jonesie on topic Tyre Pressures
Running 28psi in mine ….
Jonesie

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Apr 2023 19:04 #248665 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tyre Pressures
You can calculate the actual PSI using the maximum load/maximum inflation information embossed on the side of the tyre and the axle weight on the main vin plate. It will probably be in the low 20s psi. My 97 load index all terrain work out at 21 which looks about right from experience unfortunately I have tpms and it gets very upset with me if I run that low even though it improves the ride quality.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: madman, Miownway

More
18 Apr 2023 08:20 #248681 by madman
Replied by madman on topic Tyre Pressures
Much appreciated Jonesie.

Man of many machines small and large , 2001 Kap Jimny and 2023 LCV 2" lift and very happy.

More
18 Apr 2023 08:22 #248682 by madman
Replied by madman on topic Tyre Pressures
Thank you, will give it a go but as you say tpms is a bit moody when you go that low. however very useful and noted.
Cheers Ken.

More
18 Apr 2023 15:05 #248692 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Tyre Pressures
The goal here is presumably to get the pressure correct for best tire life, and if that is the case, it is not going to be determined purely by the tire's load rating & pressure, rim/tire width and vehicle loading are also factors to be considered.

Start with the recommended pressures and adjust using the chalk method.

Find a quiet stretch of straight road, and using the chalk, mark a wide band across the full width of the tread on each tire, drive the vehicle in a straight line for a short distance and then take a look at the chalk marks to see where the chalk has rubbed away....

If it's the middle of the tread, the tire is "crowning", either because the pressure is too high or the tire too wide for the rim, if it's both inner & outer edges of the tread, either the pressure is too low or the rim too wide, if it's one edge, either inner or outer, you have some sort of alignment or suspension issue.

Adjust the pressure up or down to get even "wear" or displacement of the chalk.

I suspect you'll find the pressure using the "chalk method" very close to Suzuki's recommended pressures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: madman

More
18 Apr 2023 19:41 #248696 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tyre Pressures
I've been running that size BFGs for 9 years, now on my 3rd set. I run then at 21psi most of the time (mixed road and off-road) but put them up to 24 for longer road trips. Wear is always even and tyre life is exceptional. I tend to sell them after around 30,000 miles with 6mm of tread left.
The following user(s) said Thank You: madman

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds