BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Silly little fixes?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Mar 2023 06:24 #248328 by Lambert
Silly little fixes? was created by Lambert
Got a few little bits to do to Temaraire and need some recommendations. 

I've been having connection issues with the 12n 7pin plug so I have replaced it with a metal one. Whilst it is new is there anything I can put on the pins to improve the contact/extend the service life?

I seem to have a break in one of the rear screen elements of the defogger, are they repairable and how?

Cheers in advance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2023 06:37 #248329 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Silly little fixes?
I have always used ACF50 on my trailer connections, both on the pins and wires at the rear. More of a preventative measure (stops corrosion and oxidisation) than a contact enhancement. I've never had one fail or require replacement. Its possibly a little expensive just for your connection, but I use it on my motorcycles / cycles as well, it's very well known in the biker world.

You could get repair kits for heated elements, but a lot depends upon how it's constructed. If it's "printed on the glass" it should be possible to use a kit, a sort of conductive paint, to reapply / bridge the gap. If it's an element within the glass I guess you can fix this, replacement only. 
I've never looked how it's constructed on the Jimny, so that's going to play a big part. The product was available back in the 90s, again not looked if it's still available. Interested in what you find, several of mine don't work, just assumed it's a Jimny thing and have never attempted to correct.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
31 Mar 2023 06:41 #248330 by Scimike
Just googled "heated window repair kit" and you can still get the paint. So it's still an option but looks like it needs a bit of googling to see if it's any good. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
31 Mar 2023 07:02 #248331 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Silly little fixes?
I generally use silicone grease both in the back of the socket and on the contacts. Silicone grease repels water really well. I use it on pretty much any connector that is going to be exposed to water.

More
31 Mar 2023 14:49 - 31 Mar 2023 14:54 #248333 by Scimike
So you made me look at mine.
its a "printed on glass" element which means the conductive paint repair system will work.
I also found this.

I don't have a Flir imagine system, but the next time it steams up I'll take a picture for reference. I had a quick look unassisted and I can actually see the break in one of my elements. The others I suspect it may be easier to spot with some form of magnification, my eyes aren't the best anymore.
I may have a go myself in the summer, if you get yours fixed before or find a better way let me know. I suppose a replacement window is an option, but is this a common thing on the Jimny?
Everyone else's all working or is it just me and Lambert?

Last edit: 31 Mar 2023 14:54 by Scimike.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Mar 2023 17:37 #248337 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Silly little fixes?
I suspect mine was damaged by either a dog paw or a tool handle. I like the idea of the repair paint.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Mar 2023 18:23 #248338 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Silly little fixes?
Broken or damaged rear screen heater traces are quite common on pretty much all makes & models.

There's a quick & easy way to locate the break, you just a voltmeter and a scrap of aluminium foil.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds