BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Gen 4 Clutch Slave Cylinder - Replace

More
13 Jan 2023 23:08 #246876 by Bob1050
Just been on You Tube and failed to spot a guide to replacing a Gen 4 Jimny Clutch Slave Cylinder. Before I go crawling about on a cold wet driveway - has anyone done this or have an 'Idiot's Guide'? In short - is this an easy diy job or an awkward job best left to a professional now the car is out of warranty?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jan 2023 03:27 #246877 by Lambert
It can't be that far out of warranty, I'd be arguing with the dealer that they covered at least some part of the cost. A clutch is after all a fundamental system on the car, it's not like wanting a set of brake pads or a wiper blade.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Jan 2023 09:11 #246879 by Roger Fairclough
Implying that brake pads and wiper blades are not fundamental systems on a car is a very strange concept, after all, every car has them!
A more pertinent point is "why do you think the slave cylinder is faulty"?

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Jan 2023 10:16 #246881 by Lambert

Implying that brake pads and wiper blades are not fundamental systems on a car is a very strange concept, after all, every car has them!
A more pertinent point is "why do you think the slave cylinder is faulty"?

Roger

But they are not items you would expect to replace under warranty unlike a clutch cylinder.

More
14 Jan 2023 11:04 #246882 by Roger Fairclough
Wiper blades are subject to wear and tear due to heavy usage and 3 years in adverse conditions will easily damage them to the point of needing replacement. Brake pads can also suffer wear beyond what you would normally expect especially with high mileage and unnecessary braking. Tail gating comes to mind with that one. Normally a slave cylinder is such a simple device that I would not expect it to give trouble in 3 years and I doubt that a dealership would expect to replace one on a car that is only recently out of warranty, which brings me back to my point about why does the owner think his problem is related to the slave cylinder?

Roger

More
14 Jan 2023 11:42 #246884 by Roger Fairclough
Coming back to the original question, the slave cylinder - Suzuki call it the operating cylinder - is easy to get to and simple to remove but like most things on a car require a degree of mechanical knowledge and tools to do it. If you have a friend who has both then maybe asking them for advice would be a sensible option.

Roger

More
14 Jan 2023 11:58 #246886 by Roger Fairclough
In the w/shop manual, Suzuki state "do not wash the operating cylinder as this could wash away the protective grease". If someone had used a pressure washer to remove mud from the underside, this could be the answer to Bob1050s problem. Just a thought.

Roger

More
14 Jan 2023 19:06 #246895 by Bob1050
Many thanks for responses to date. As Lambert asked "why do you think the slave cylinder is faulty"? and Roger asked " why does the owner think his problem is related to the slave cylinder"? The answer is "Because the dealer's tech noted the fault at the annual service on the same day that the dealership removed the Suzuki branding from the external facade of their garage". So the chance of a goodwill claim is about zero and already access to the Suzuki diagnostic kit has ended as well as part of the franchise deal being over. Looks like the number of Suzuki dealerships is being rationalised. Looks like I had better prepare myself for a crawl underneath the Jimny when the rain finally goes off for a few hours - pity it's not a nice warm, dry Summer's day!

More
14 Jan 2023 19:45 #246896 by Roger Fairclough
The fluid for the clutch is taken from the brake master cylinder reservoir. The clutch master cylinder is bolted to the firewall and the fluid, under pressure, travels to the slave cylinder via pipe and hose. The pipe, hose slave cylinder and fittings appear, from the workshop manual, to be a complete unit and would be sold as such. Also the w/m advises against dismantling the slave cylinder! Basically Suzuki are following everyone else and making complete units as opposed to individual smaller pieces as of old.

Roger

More
14 Jan 2023 22:53 #246900 by Bob1050
Many thanks to Roger Fairclough for his informative and helpful response. Looks like a lot more expensive to repair with a 'kit of parts', rather than a simple 'industry standard' replacement cylinder kit (or in days of yore - a seal kit for a few quid)! Fortunately the Jimny is still driveable in the short term.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Jan 2023 04:47 #246904 by Lambert
Don't be so sure about the good will, the warranty is not held with the dealer but with Suzuki UK, as such I think it would still be worth asking them directly. Yes that might mean having to travel to the next nearest dealer workshop if they agree but I wouldn't be giving up quite yet.

More
15 Jan 2023 07:46 #246905 by mlines
Bob1050

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds