BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Replacement engine

• RachP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2022 15:03 #245157 by RachP
Replacement engine was created by RachP
Hi all, 

I have no experience with Jimmy’s (as will become clear). 

We recently bought a 2000 JLX Jimny that needs a new engine (G13BB). I’m looking for a reconditioned engine and not had a lot of luck via breakers sites.
I’ve found one from a 2008 model (M13BB).  Can that be fitted into ours?
Or, can anyone point me to a reliable Jimny engine dealer?

Thanks in advance,

Rach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Sep 2022 17:52 #245158 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Replacement engine
Welcome to the forum. The swapping of a g13bb with the m13a is not a simple one. Swapping between a g13 and the g16 out of the Liana is a definite option as they are the same long block just different displacement. The big one though is that all g series engines are getting quite rare now because so many were scrapped because the bodies rusted.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Sep 2022 19:01 #245159 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Replacement engine

Swapping between a g13 and the g16 out of the Liana is a definite option as they are the same long block just different displacement.

I don't think the Liana was ever fitted with a G-series engine, just the M-series - it might be possible to use a G16 from something like a Grand Vitara or a Baleno

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Sep 2022 03:18 #245163 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Replacement engine
Sorry you are right I meant baleno.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Sep 2022 11:11 - 28 Sep 2022 11:16 #245170 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Replacement engine
depending on markets (country) the G-series has been in other suzukis too like Swift. However the ignition and fuel systems are more alike on a baleno engine from the same year model. 99' baleno will fit a G-series jimny, but earlier will not fit as easy as they got a different coil setup.
I think most of the problem with the lack of G-series enginses is that the minute they come into the breakers they get sold due to large demand and slow supply. the G tend to break down in a larger rate than the M-series.

Edit: and as for the M engines that do not break down as much, and have been used in a lesser desirable model like the Liana is easy to get hold of. Just a small ding sends a Liana to the breakers as they cost less used and not so many people bother to fix them. (at least here in Norway)
Same M16 can be found in a swift but then the engine cost twice as much from the breaker as the liana engine.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2022 11:16 by yakuza.

More
28 Sep 2022 14:17 #245176 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Replacement engine
I don't see this as an M vs G discussion, the thread starter has an early Jimny with a G series engine and is looking for a replacement, the later M series engine is not a simple swap.

More
28 Sep 2022 22:32 #245189 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Replacement engine
Just expressing my opinion as to why some engines can be found and others not. And why prices vary.
Swapping between M and G should only be done by selling and bying a different car.
Sorry if my english make you feel the need to arrest me again. Please try to see that I have only good intentions and only try to help.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

More
29 Sep 2022 09:44 #245196 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Replacement engine

Hi all, 

I have no experience with Jimmy’s (as will become clear). 

We recently bought a 2000 JLX Jimny that needs a new engine (G13BB). I’m looking for a reconditioned engine and not had a lot of luck via breakers sites.
I’ve found one from a 2008 model (M13BB).  Can that be fitted into ours?
Or, can anyone point me to a reliable Jimny engine dealer?

Thanks in advance,

Rach
Hi Rach, I think the easiest route for you would be to look for a local engine reconditioning workshop and ask them to rebuild your engine. If you post your location. I'll try to help.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds