BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 3 rear silencer replacement

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
07 Aug 2022 18:56 #244434 by DrRobin
Whilst crawling about underneath the tow bar I noticed that the top of the rear silencer has started to go, the top surface had a split in it.  The rest of the exhaust looked okay and it isn’t leaking yet, but I suspect it is a matter of time.

So a couple of questions, is the rear box easy to change and do I need to remove the tow bar and/or rear bumper?  If these need to come off I think I will do it myself as I have a reversing camera and I would rather not have the garage damaging the cable.

Ta

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2022 20:13 - 07 Aug 2022 20:15 #244437 by Scimike
It's easy enough to change and you don't need to remove the tow bar, in fact it's better left in place. Removing the rear bumper and putting the rear on ramps helps and makes the job sort of comfortable.
That's how I did mine, but it took a bit of bending of the top mount on the exhaust to stop it resting on the horizontal tow bar support, hence why it's bast in place to get the clearance correct. 
​​​​​​But it did not last that long, top rotted again hence why I got a customer system in stainless.
Have fun
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Aug 2022 20:15 by Scimike.

More
07 Aug 2022 20:23 #244438 by Busta
You don't need to take anything off. Access to the drivers side rubber hanger can be tricky. Fit that first/remove it last with the exhaust hanging down at an angle so you can get your arm in. Once that's done the rest is simple.

More
07 Aug 2022 20:38 - 07 Aug 2022 20:39 #244439 by Scimike
Busta is absolutely correct, you don't need to take anything off.
​​But I am old and removing the rear bumper means you can see the clearance to the tow bar metal work without having to get under the car to take a look. This is very beneficial after a certain age, or if you curse when you stand up 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Aug 2022 20:39 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds