BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

First post - looking for some pricing info

More
06 Aug 2022 20:00 - 06 Aug 2022 20:01 #244421 by reidtastic
Hi all,

looking for a Jimny at present and have a few quick questions - 

Q1 - Can anyone advise the cost i should be looking to pay for a reasonably solid example ?  Eg one thats not likely to need welding for some time, id plan on trying to reduce corrosion by under-sealing once i get the car.  Im not to concerned about miles and ill be looking at jimmy's around the 70-90k mark. Ideally looking for as good condition as possible but im not concerned about scratches scrapes here and there - ill be using the car  for commuting in town,  mountain biking, camping, canoeing and off-roading. So i plan on a few mods to suit the lifestyle.

ive been fo see a couple locally - the cars were £7-8k 50-60k on the clock - 2007 2006 reg - i was happy with the condition in general and they looked reasonably solid. Im looking to spend no more than 5k should i expect a decent 2006plus car for this ?

Q2 - can you fit a mountain bike in the back ? Appreciate ill need to remove wheels and will need fo fold down the seats ta.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2022 20:01 by reidtastic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2022 21:41 #244422 by DrRobin
Hi welcome to the best Jimny forum.

I paid about £7k for a late 2011 Jimny about 3 years ago from a dealership, since then the prices have gone a bit silly.

They are out there for your budget, the main problem is rust under the headlights, the body mounts, the suspension and in the boot. All of these are correctable but best to get one which is solid.

The engines are as robust and reliable as anything else, but clearly this doesn’t worry you, so concentrate on the the rust spots.

Have a good read through the buyers guide in the wiki and other reviews for the year you are thinking about. Check the MOT status on the department for transport site and check the known rust spots.

Hope that helps.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: reidtastic

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Aug 2022 05:11 #244423 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. I have fully removed the rear seats in my car and it is a constant source of amazement just what I can get in the back. I also have removed the factory roof rails and I replaced them with a pair of cross bars bolted directly to the roof studs. It doesn't alter the 30kg roof load limit but it does increase the practicalities of moving long items.

As for pricing as Robin has said they are through the roof at the moment and showing no obvious signs of slowing down, my current Jimny is still worth at least 2 grand more than I paid for it nearly 18 months ago, it's mental. There are clean older Jimny out there but you are going to have to look at a lot of them to find one worth having if you are not prepared to entertain rust repairs, it's that or spending relatively large money on a later version.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Aug 2022 08:21 #244424 by sniper
I wouldn't worry too much about finding a "mint" car and I'd buy at around 4K. That should find a car in fair condition and reasonable miles/history.

Then take the car to a good workshop, have the underbody/front panel/inner wings soft sandblasted and all rust removed/repaired. Rust inhibiting primer, two coats of Raptor paint applied.

Rebuild using new springs, shocks, bushes. Either standard or uprated parts.

That would make a nicer car/keeper.....

If you go down that road, ask on the forum for help with a workshop. 

sniper

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds