BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

getting better mpg

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jul 2022 09:14 #244257 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic getting better mpg

Driving down hill in neutral that is coasting is not good. First it reduces your control of the vehicle as you have no engine braking effect which in turn increases reliance on the wheel brakes which can cause them to overheat. Secondly the engine will revert to idle in neutral which requires it to burn fuel, when going down hill in gear the ECU detects this and virtually stops fuel supply, the effect may be small but it does increase mpg.
Great theory, but in practice coasting in neutral uses less fuel.

Maybe on a carburettor motor but it's one of the ways modern European compliant engines meet emissions.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2022 12:04 #244258 by danielbz
Replied by danielbz on topic getting better mpg
so, does going on D shuts down fuel injection? where can i see that??
and going on N does not stops fuel injection? i didnt know about that, is there somewhere i can check this?

More
28 Jul 2022 12:12 #244259 by RumbleAndSway
Replied by RumbleAndSway on topic getting better mpg
37.8 mpg from SZ5, running BFG AT, roof bars, bike carrier, awning and occasionally a roof load [bike, ladder, canoe etc.]

Never seen 40mpg but no grounds for complaint.

More
28 Jul 2022 13:32 #244261 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic getting better mpg
An imperial gallon is 20% bigger, so that takes your 29 to almost 35mpg.

I don't have any figures for 91 octane rating vs 95 we get in the UK, but would expect another increase in mpg, possibly as much as 5%. So that takes you up to about 36.5mpg.

The ECU needs to be able to adjust to the different octane ratings, but I assume they do this, or the ECU is 'tuned' for the market the vehicle is going in to.

Several years ago I hired a Jimny on holiday in the Caribbean, it seemed to drink fuel and it wasn't cheap, so I worked out the mpg, it wasn't very good, I put it down to the state of the roads. Only later did I realise that although the island used to be under British rule, pertrol was sold in US gallons.

I think you are not that far away. You might check the air filter or the CAT might have disintegrated, then again check the plugs and everything else, depending on how many miles your vehicle has done.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
28 Jul 2022 14:37 #244263 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic getting better mpg

so, does going on D shuts down fuel injection? where can i see that??
and going on N does not stops fuel injection? i didnt know about that, is there somewhere i can check this?
Yes it does. You can see it on the instant consumption gauge on the Gen 4.

More
28 Jul 2022 14:42 - 28 Jul 2022 14:45 #244264 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic getting better mpg

Driving down hill in neutral that is coasting is not good. First it reduces your control of the vehicle as you have no engine braking effect which in turn increases reliance on the wheel brakes which can cause them to overheat. Secondly the engine will revert to idle in neutral which requires it to burn fuel, when going down hill in gear the ECU detects this and virtually stops fuel supply, the effect may be small but it does increase mpg.

Maybe on a carburettor motor but it's one of the ways modern European compliant engines meet emissions.
It's all about friction and momentum, you go further in neutral than you will with your foot off the throttle, so it uses less fuel. I used to live in a hilly area, and it used to make quite a difference to my consumption - Gen 3 manual and Gen 4 Auto. Now I live in a very flat area, so I don't get the advantage any more.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2022 14:45 by saxj.

More
28 Jul 2022 15:10 #244265 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic getting better mpg

im using a non traffic road, i drive 50 mph when going uphill and i go downhill in N, im not in the UK, what mods do you have?
ATs, winch bumper and some other bits.
​​​​​​​
Is your vehicle standard?

I assume if putting it in N it is a manual not an automatic.

More
28 Jul 2022 15:11 #244266 by 300bhpton

US gallon
91 octane, no ethanol
Curious, where are you?

Do you know what Octane scale you use?

91 octane in the USA at least, would be about the same as 95RON here in the UK.

More
28 Jul 2022 15:14 #244267 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Re:getting better mpg

Can you use 91 in a series 4 my series 3 staits minimum 95 ?

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk
Depends where in the world they are. Octane is rated in different ways.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

More
28 Jul 2022 15:15 #244268 by 300bhpton

My very standard gen 4 still achieving a lifetime average of over 42mpg (UK). No motorways near me but otherwise regular A & B road driving. I rarely cane it though. 
I'd suggest over 40mpg is not the norm for most Jimny's. You really do need to drive it very gently to attain that (never managed it in mine, even when 100% stock).

More
28 Jul 2022 15:16 #244269 by 300bhpton

No, neutral will be at idle and still pumping fuel in. Using engine braking will be no fuel and potentially more economical.

More
28 Jul 2022 16:16 #244271 by danielbz
Replied by danielbz on topic getting better mpg
i was going down in N, my car is automatic, i will take into consideration what you told me, knowing that modern cars have more stuff included it may be true that going down in D stops fuel injection, i just had not thought about that before, thanks

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds