BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Molyslip - snake oil or used and good?

More
11 Jun 2022 07:42 #243667 by Scimike
Some may have noticed I use my Jimny to tow a 750Kg caravan. It works hard to do this, very hard, so I keep an eye on servicing and how it's doing. 
I've noticed the rear axle is the weak point in the transmission, it gets very hot after a day's towing. 
Today's service has confirmed this, a little more debris on the drain Magnet than I would say is normal, certainly compared to the gearbox and transfer case. 

So wondering what can be done to help and Molyslip additive came up in conversation. 

Anyone got experience with this stuff in the axle? 

Snake oil or possible assistance for my poor axle? 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2022 09:36 #243669 by LesNewell
I have to admit I'm not a fan. In my opinion a good quality fully synthetic gear oil is probably a better bet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
11 Jun 2022 13:55 #243673 by Busta
You are still operating well within the standard capabilities of the vehicle. Stick to regular gear oil and observe the service schedule reccomendation of changing the oil every 24 moths/18,000 miles if towing. A small amount of metal on a diff drain plug is normal.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jun 2022 18:30 #243674 by Lambert
On Dreadnaught by the end of my time at 112000 miles and 3 axle oil changes there was just a slight hint of particles in the oil. You know what I use mine for. I really wouldn't be too concerned.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Jun 2022 18:59 #243675 by Scimike
I change my transmission oil every 18k, have done  from the day I purchased it. This last 18k has seen some long (8hrs +) towing, i first notice the waxoyl on the axle case had "pimpled", it appears to be the result of heat, the axle simply gets hot over a long period with extra load. It doesn't happen if I run the vehicle for long periods without the caravan.
SO with interest I decided to change early,  this change was at 14k.
The gearbox / transfer oil looked new, minimal grey metal "fuzz" on the magnet for both. That's normally how the axle looks, but this time it had approx 3x the grey "fuzz" and  more concerning a few very small shiny slithers.

That's what's driving my question, the oils definitely working harder in the axle when you tow for long periods of time.

I think I'll change the axle oil more frequently, possibly every year if I tow. The gearbox / transfer case looks fine at the 18k interval.

THanks for the feedback, tend to agree and be cynical with additives, but Moly (for gearbox/axle) gets good reviews on Amazon.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
12 Jun 2022 07:54 #243678 by yakuza
At my work we make gearboxes for ships. Not the same i know as we are mostly in the 2000kW to 6000kW but still some similarities.
The point where the gear wheels touch make the most heat. The teeth on one gear is supposed to roll on a film of oil on the other gear. If they rub it is called scuffing and this produce heat and breaks down the oil and wear on the surface.
The point of contact can reach high temperatures and will degradate the oil. How well the oil can withstand this is important.
We do not approve any additives or mixing of oils. Well known brands and good specs is all there is to it. And regular test intervals and oil change.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
12 Jun 2022 09:39 #243679 by Scimike
Sound advice from all - thanks.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds