BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyres/rims

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2022 10:58 #243195 by Danparry
Tyres/rims was created by Danparry
I'm looking for some new tyres
I currently just have some allterrain nankangs at the moment 215 75 15, ,

I'm looking for some 215 75 15 bf goodrich all terrains but they currently seem to be about 340$ aud each.

It seems to be that a 225 75 16 in that brand is about $240 aud each ,

Really don't no why those are cheaper as it's a bigger size.

Just wanting to ask how do jimnys perform as a daily driver on a set of 16" with 225 if I was to upgrade to a bigger rim??

Or should I stick to a 215 75 15 bf goodrich but just pay the extra $$,

It is my daily driver, I use it on the beach every now and then. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2022 15:59 #243197 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Tyres/rims
First, you haven't told us which of the Jimnys you have, so assuming an SN413 in the Australian market, OE tire size should be a 205/70R15, which would make your current 215/75R15 about 5% taller than OE, and your proposed 225/75R16 another 7% for a total of 12% taller than OE - performance is going to suck, and with a 76mm increase in diameter, I believe you'll also be "illegal" as, if I recall correctly, you're limited to no more than a 50mm increase in tires size,

Question 1 - can you get a set of rims at less than $100 aud each?
Question 2 - are you sure you want BFG all terrains for beach work?

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2022 10:40 #243201 by Danparry
Replied by Danparry on topic Tyres/rims
Hey

Sorry it's the sn413 australian model.

Sounds like I'm best to stick with the current 215 75 15 .

The tyre brand,
I'm open to other brands yeah just not really sure what other decent allterrain brands there are,

my current nankangs have been good but they are terrible in the wet and ide like a more meatier looking tyre, the nankangs look alot like your standard tyre,

nearly every jimny or other 4x4 I see tend to have bf goodrich tyres, so I assume they are pretty good?

More
02 May 2022 11:54 #243203 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Tyres/rims
Hi, I run 215 75 15 Maxxis Wormdrive. They have so far been a decent tyre both on and off road.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
02 May 2022 19:15 #243205 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Tyres/rims

nearly every jimny or other 4x4 I see tend to have bf goodrich tyres, so I assume they are pretty good?

Have you taken into consideration, where those vehicles are being driven?  You expressed an interest in beach work - the texture & nature of beach sand varies from one beach to the next, there are Suzuki specific Australian forums where the folks are familiar with the Jimnys, and with the terrain you're going to be driving - ask there about the best tires for beach use - I'll bet you get the answer aired down part worn highway treads - you want to float on the sand, rather than sink or dig in to it.

Generally speaking, all terrain tires, regardless of brand are a compromise, and not particularly good at anything - I'm not saying that the BFGs aren't a good tire, I've never used them, nor am I likely to any time soon, I'm not willing to pay the price - I'm currently running General Grabber AT/X on my Jimny,

More
05 May 2022 21:12 - 05 May 2022 21:16 #243224 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Tyres/rims
having had both BFG MT and AT on several jimnys both gen2 and 3 and currently also a set of BFG AT on my VW T5, I must say that for the on road and alll terrain performance I like the AT tires. For austrailian use I do not think that my liking for their snow performance on road is maybe not so interesting :) on ice they need studs though. have had a set of that as well. I have had worn out 215 AT, 31" AT, 31"MT, 325/65/15 MT, 31 AT with studs, 235 AT, 235 MT currently on my jimny and 215 70 16 (?) on my T5 now.
I do not like the MT wet road performance especially when they get more than 3 years old. also i do not like the ice and snow performance of the AT when they get 4 years old. which is why I had so many sets, I sell them and buy new or used. They last long and can be sold for a good price used.
Off road performance on the MT is to my liking. the AT is not so good in mud but sand is OK. I am now open to try something else as my 235 MT are too old and hard. most likely I will sell them next year.
Hope this helps a bit :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 05 May 2022 21:16 by yakuza.

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2022 11:09 #243231 by Danparry
Replied by Danparry on topic Tyres/rims
Thanks for the help⁰

I've been looking around and I've found 2
different models of a goodyear allterrain

Good year 215 75 15 allterrain
and
Goodyear allterrain silentrac 225 75 15

Other than that , the rest ove found look cheap and nasty and the BFG tyres I can't justify spending 380$each

Haven't had a goodyear allterrain before so may try it out

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds