BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fibreglass

More
30 Mar 2022 13:22 #242582 by Moisha
Fibreglass was created by Moisha
Hi!!
Just bought a Jimny a month ago.  I contacted someone to check the car for me as I'm not a mechanic and I thought to leave this task to someone who knows better.
The thing is this guy already took around £800 for fixing things, one of them is the seats that he claims he has but I found the actual listing, and still available, so I don't know what else he lied to me.
I have the car with me now. (without seats still) He claimed to do some welding, but honestly, the only thing that I can see is fiberglass. It is safe to drive? the car passed the MOT, but I don't know how to trust the person who made the MOT? It is legal to drive with holes fixed by fiberglass and not welding?it is safe? should I go to another garage for a pre-purchase inspection, even if it's mine already, just to check if it's safe? I'm just a bit confused about fiberglass vs welding on MOT. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Mar 2022 13:30 #242583 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Fibreglass
I'd be very dubious. Where are these patches of glass fibre, on the body or chassis or? Thing is if the seller did the mot and it's not up to par then there's various options for recompense, like vosa and trading standards etc.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Mar 2022 15:11 #242586 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Fibreglass
If the holes are in an area that is structural or a critical area then it should fail it's MOT if patched with fibreglass.

The general rule is 'if it is within 12" of suspension brakes or steering mount ect and seat belts it needs welding'.

Also if you are keeping the car it is better to have it welded.

So it really depends on where the holes are?

Which seats are missing?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Mar 2022 15:27 #242587 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Fibreglass
We need more info. Where are you based is important because we may have a member or know of a trustworthy technician who can advise you. Also some details of the Jimny you have and what was covered in the £800 you have spent.

Roger

More
30 Mar 2022 20:23 #242600 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Fibreglass
We do need more info on the repairs, as said, fibreglass is ok or not ok depending upon its location or function.
You have sort of answered your own question, go to another garage and get an inspection from them. It's probably the best if you are unsure of what you are looking at, but try to get a recommendation of a place to go. You can also make it clear you are not going to let them repair it, so they have nothing to gain other than telling you if it's ok or bad.
Generally in my opinion fibreglass should only be used on fibreglass vehicles, use on a metal vehicle tends to be a quick fix (or bodge). A good repair is cut out the rot and weld in new metal.
Good luck and just my opinion.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 Mar 2022 21:34 #242601 by stimpy
Replied by stimpy on topic Fibreglass
As others have said we would need details, and pics speak thousand words.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds