BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:G'day from Oz

More
30 Mar 2022 03:40 #242562 by Ron0z
G'day from Oz was created by Ron0z
Having just registered I'd just like to say hello.So, I'm in Canberra, Australia and have just bought myself a 2010 Jimny. I have to say I wish I'd found your website before I bought my Jimny. The wiki has so much information. I like the sense of humour too. Me and my Jiminy (as my partner likes to call it) are still getting to know each other. I've only had it a matter of weeks, and while it seems a well kept vehicle I'm having so much trouble getting it into my name. It seems as though every government regulation has been set up to fight me and pound me into the ground. Checks, rejects, testing, repairs, retest. Shelley Long and Tom Hanks starred in a move called The Money Pit. Everything seemed to be going wrong with their house and it was costing them a fortune. Hence, the name of the film. My car seems a bit like that at the moment. Hopefully, it'll get through and be better for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Mar 2022 04:27 #242563 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic G'day from Oz
Welcome to the Hotel California, sorry, forum. Got any pictures, of your Jimny obvs.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Mar 2022 05:53 - 30 Mar 2022 05:56 #242564 by Ron0z
Replied by Ron0z on topic G'day from Oz
Thanks Lambert. Here are a couple of photos. Not sure if you'll see anything in particular but it has been raised 50mm (body lift and larger tyre profile). I'm not used to too many 4WD experiences. This is my first. Still getting used to it. I have to smile to myself every time I get in and out of the thing. Getting in takes an extra-large step, and exiting is more of a turn-and-slide to the ground effort. Not particularly elegant. I don't know how Landcruiser folks manage that have been raised a huge distance off the ground. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2022 05:56 by Ron0z. Reason: The photos seemed to fall off

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Mar 2022 08:23 #242570 by Lambert
Very nice. Someone's done just enough to that, competent not crazy.

More
30 Mar 2022 11:04 #242574 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic G'day from Oz
Hi and Welcome along.

oooh -  nice pictures of your Jimny, sorry, your Money Pit in the sunshine.

Sunshine, remember that UK residents, just had the two weeks of Summer   

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 Mar 2022 12:34 #242579 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic G'day from Oz
Nice looking Jiminy, I am sure it will stop been a 'Money Pit' in the near future. Then you will have the cash to put fuel in it and go somewhere.

Or, stop mentioning how much it is costing to your partner [probably a good move in any case] and it won't seem so much.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Mar 2022 13:44 #242585 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic G'day from Oz
Hello and welcome, nice looking Jiminy 

More
30 Mar 2022 22:24 #242604 by stimpy
Replied by stimpy on topic G'day from Oz

Thanks Lambert. Here are a couple of photos. Not sure if you'll see anything in particular but it has been raised 50mm (body lift and larger tyre profile). I'm not used to too many 4WD experiences. This is my first. Still getting used to it. I have to smile to myself every time I get in and out of the thing. Getting in takes an extra-large step, and exiting is more of a turn-and-slide to the ground effort. Not particularly elegant. I don't know how Landcruiser folks manage that have been raised a huge distance off the ground. 

I had to double take at the pictures.... Wondered what that blue was in the back ground..... I remember now .... From a visit to Spain where I basked in the glory of warm sunshine 

Jimny looks good.

More
31 Mar 2022 04:16 #242607 by Ron0z
Replied by Ron0z on topic G'day from Oz
Now that's weird. It being referred to as a money pit. I'm seeing some of it now. And I've only just got it home. And all to do with vehicle registration. That may be what you call MOT fees over there.

When I saw the car it seemed very nice. It had an upgraded radio (with GPS and other stuff, half of which I can't work out), a CB radio, some power outlets, and the two back seats had been removed and storage shelves with a drawer had been fitted in their place. On the outside, it has a winch, some spotlights, larger profile tyres, and has been lifted 50mm. It also had a bull bar and a front and rear tow bar. It came with the roof rack and awning and the seller threw in the rest of the tent that goes with it. In addition, I was provided with the old radio that had been removed, the old coil springs and shock absorbers, the original front bumper bar, and the two rear seats. The car also had a second battery installed with some sort of cut out with it for when the volts start to drop. There were other little bits and pieces that I might never use. Oh, yes. It also has breathers from the diffs and gearbox mounted under the bonnet as well as a snorkel. I also have an anti-sway bar I suppose you'd call it except it swivels rather than resists; he mentioned that with a smile. He said I might want to put it on for fun one day. And I almost forgot. He gave me a recovery kit as well.

The car had one other thing that even the seller didn't know about. Something that I discovered later when I took it for its roadworthy inspection. It has a 1.6 L engine.

So, my sorry state started when I took it to a local garage to have a vehicle roadworthy inspection. All new purchases have to be checked over by an authorized workshop. I got a call from the mechanic quicker than expected. "I can't do this," the guy said. "Why not?" "It's had an engine change. You'll have to take it to the government." At least he didn't charge me. He seemed grumpy. Probably because he didn't get any money out of me. I bought the car thinking it had a 1.3 L engine. This one has a 1.6 L engine. No, not 1.5 at least not according to the engine number.

At the completion of the inspection I was provided with a report that indicated where the car failed, and one of the items was the engine. I needed to take the car to a qualified engineer to have it certified before it could be registered. Not a mechanic. I'm wondering if engineers charge the same price as lawyers.

Happily, the engineer I rang had had a cancellation and I could take the car to him within a few days. He was a very pleasant guy. Well, with people like me giving him $1800 for his work he would have to be. The good news was that the engine was fine. It had been fitted well, had next to nothing on emissions, and got a big green tick. But this guy was thorough. He noticed the leaking diff oil coming out behind one of the rear backing plates. The roadworthy guys missed that. There were lots of little things he picked. Some not so little, but the really big thing was yet to come.

He took the car over a weighbridge and compared what he got against the manufacturer's specs. The difference being the bits and pieces that had been added. The modifications. The bull bar would be heavy. So would the winch, and no one can deny batteries are heavy too, and the two tow bars would have added to it, and no doubt the various undercar protection the seller boasted of all add weight. I'm not so sure about the springs that were changed in lifting the car 50mm but they would add a bit. So, here's the thing. The car has a certain load carrying capacity; like for four people, but that's with no modifications. If you add weight in other ways, as noted above, then there is less carrying capacity for passengers. It seems with all the extra weight that's on my car it would be illegal to drive it with any more than the driver, because it would be overloaded.

The solution to this hit me with another shock. The engineer suspected that since all of the work done had been done well that the car probably would be okay to carry passengers, but it would have to be tested. If the car was certified at a higher Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) then it could be registered. GVM tests are $2200 to complete. The alternative is to remove the heavy stuff. I want to keep the winch etc so I'm digging deep into my pocket.

Yup. It's a money pit. Oh, yeah. I gather I'm up to $1000 on the oil leak and new rear brakes.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Mar 2022 04:39 #242609 by Lambert
Ouch. This is something I keep on about is just how heavy some of these modifications make a jimny. Yes they're useful but if you end up overweight that's not good. Unfortunately over here the testing process doesn't seem to account for weight particularly so people tend to ignore it. It can however bite back if the insurance think it was a contribution to a collision or you are unlucky to get a roadside inspection by a government body. Personally I keep a very close eye on the weight of mine because I do a lot of cargo and towing work on my farm and a Jimny with a trailer is a very appealing target for a roadside inspection.

More
31 Mar 2022 07:57 #242611 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:G'day from Oz
welcome.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
31 Mar 2022 08:25 #242613 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Re:G'day from Oz
I receive Emails from an Aussie 4x4 magazine and the authorities are forever clamping down on overweight combinations of 4x4s and caravans. They set up road side weighing stations and fines are heavy. Over here we wait until someone has an accident, the media have a field day and 24 hours later they are back to reporting on subjects that really matter (to them that is).
I towed the club caravan behind my Gen.2 and nearly lost it going down a steep hill when it started to snake. That was nasty.
Our hearts go out to you (but not our cash) and hope your troubles will soon be a thing of the past.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds