BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny vs. Defender Off road - which is best?

More
30 Mar 2022 15:45 #242588 by Roger Fairclough
A point to mention is the difference in gear ratios. This info. is based on the Gen.4 but in low range the manual has an o/a ratio of 36.23 with the auto coming in at 32.68. This would give greater control both up and down hills.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Mar 2022 16:39 #242589 by Lambert
I just ran the ratios through the calculator and the 3 auto is about 30feet per minute more than the manual at an idle of 950 rmp which while noticeable is barely 3 car lengths.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Mar 2022 17:32 #242590 by Roger Fairclough
Noticeable, in this scenario has got to be helpful and anything that is helpful should be gratefully accepted.

Roger

More
30 Mar 2022 17:42 #242591 by lightning
Well, l've got a Defender TD5 and a Gen 4 Jimny and they are both great off road.

Both have their strengths, the Jimny actually has more tech, my Defender hasn't got the traction control.

Both vehicles have proven their worth, the Jimny only falling down because you have to keep disengaging the 4wd when on solid surfaces.

l see the Gen 4 Jimny as a worthy successor to the original Defender, and a half priced alternative to
the new one.

More
30 Mar 2022 18:00 - 30 Mar 2022 18:04 #242594 by Scimike
I personally think they are very similar in performance off road, in a "green field" situation. By this I mean a location that's not been carved up by increasing vehicle clearance, it's then predominantly a battle between tyre size and ground clearance. In standard trim, in this world, the larger Land Rover will always have the advantage over the smaller Jimny.
In a "green field" situation they are much the same, one slightly better than the other in certain situations. I don't see disengaging 4x4 between surface's as an issue in the Jimny, it's a button press, and no different to my Series 2 Land Rover. The land rover also has the edge in low box, the Jimny is slightly too quick for some situations, but it's not a big issue, particularly if you favour "full speed ahead" obstacle navigation 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 30 Mar 2022 18:04 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Mar 2022 18:19 #242595 by Lambert

Noticeable, in this scenario has got to be helpful and anything that is helpful should be gratefully accepted.

Roger

Like I was saying earlier in any Jimny you are going to be covering the brakes to assist the engine braking whilst also being prepared to get back on the gas to regain wheel speed in the event of loosing traction. Something of a balancing act to be sure and the reason for hill decent control on the new ones, computers being better at that sort of speedy reactions

More
30 Mar 2022 19:24 #242596 by Roger Fairclough
Give anyone the choice, and anyone in this context is some one acquainted with steep down hill sections, and they will pick lower gearing because it gives them better control. and that means lower speed. Hill decent control is for people who don't understand that and HDC cant look ahead and read the track. That's a job for the driver. Suitable gearing gives better control right from the start with less need for use of the brakes.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Mar 2022 19:45 #242599 by Lambert
Which is why I have my eye on a 5.4 transfer gear set. Unfortunately I also don't have 800 odd quid. But I do have an automatic gearbox which means in every other scenario off road I have an advantage, being smooth power delivery without burning a clutch which in turn takes the edge off needing to buy new gears. After all it's a reasonably accepted proposal for serious off road work that a manual really needs a total reduction of 50:1 or more whereas an automatic needs nowhere near that because of the torque converter. For example a unimog which can get down to 200:1.

More
30 Mar 2022 21:54 #242603 by Roger Fairclough
If your auto is so good as it is, why are you so interested in a 5.4 ratio transfer box? After all, according to your statistics, you don't need them.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Mar 2022 03:22 #242606 by Lambert
If you remember, I am interested in in fitting oversized tyres to my Jimny which would require a regear to maintain the high range ratio and driveability that happens to give me the the huge reduction in low which is a bonus.

More
31 Mar 2022 08:34 #242614 by Roger Fairclough
I also remember that you required of us a reminder that you promised not to modify your Jimny.

Roger 

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Mar 2022 09:11 #242617 by Lambert
Into a racecar. Not said anything about not improving it for off road.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds