BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Transfer case swap?

More
13 Mar 2022 12:27 #242282 by Roger Fairclough
I you are going to fit Quaife's to both axles, why retain the standard traction control? You have in the past, from memory, considered the standard setup to be slow to react whereas a quick dab on the brakes will activate the Quaife's if the conditions you are in haven't already done so. Also, the use of 29" tyres is not a huge increase over standard, so why do you feel the need to re-gear, especially as you have an auto?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2022 14:38 #242284 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Transfer case swap?
The traction control however primitive has one advantage that I can't mimic, it's speed of application, couple that to the quaife in each axle it becomes a system whereby the driver no longer really needs to consider the available grip and can therefore focus on selection of line. As for why a regear for 29s, easy, I wish to keep the ability to tow without cooking the transmission through undue slip and the torque multiplication of 5.4 gears in low range would be very helpful on the farm nevermind playing off-road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Mar 2022 14:40 #242285 by Lambert
Oh and standard the 3 is on 26s which is quite a bit to just expect the automatic to just soak up.

More
13 Mar 2022 16:48 #242289 by Roger Fairclough
Ok. I note your points and as I haven't used the traction control on my Gen.4 I will not argue the pros and cons of your intended selection.
As a point though, the standard tyres on a Gen.3 are 195/80R15 and they have a diameter of 27.3".
Oh, one last point, if you feel that you may cook your transmission oil, you could always fit a cooler.

Roger
+

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Mar 2022 17:20 #242290 by Lambert
Standard tyre size on the gen3 is 205.70r15 this is 668mm or 26.3 inches. I would be going to 235.75r15 which is 734mm or 28.9 inches. And that's before you get into the manufacturer tolerance variations.

More
14 Mar 2022 12:54 #242315 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Transfer case swap?
gen 3 never came out with 195/80R15

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
14 Mar 2022 16:16 #242316 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Re:Transfer case swap?
the gen 4 have the 195/80/15

More
14 Mar 2022 16:44 #242317 by Roger Fairclough
Oops, my mistake, I looked at one of those comparison sites for tyres and got the Gen.3 mixed up with the Gen.4.
Sorry about that.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds