BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 MPG calculation

More
30 Dec 2021 19:19 #240851 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen4 MPG calculation

I doubt that E5 is still available.

Roger
Super Unleaded is now the E5.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2021 19:28 #240852 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Gen4 MPG calculation
YES E5 is available here in Wales

More
30 Dec 2021 19:40 #240853 by Roger Fairclough
Thanks to Soeley and gv42 for that info.

Also the oracle - "She who must be obeyed" has also confirmed the details. I'm just off to the kitchen, in chains of course, to do the washing up.

Roger

More
30 Dec 2021 19:58 #240854 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen4 MPG calculation

Thanks to Soeley and gv42 for that info.

Also the oracle - "She who must be obeyed" has also confirmed the details. I'm just off to the kitchen, in chains of course, to do the washing up.

Roger

More
30 Dec 2021 22:54 #240857 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Gen4 MPG calculation
When I was having problems with my other car ( Boxster) I put Redex advanced in followed by E5 (Shell V max) and decided to do the same with my Jimny, Gen 3, there was absolutely no difference in mpg, power or how either vehicle ran, so concluded that E5 wasn’t worth the money or seeking out.

Here in the UK E5 is 95 RON, perhaps in other countries where E5 is a lower octane rating it’s worth it, but not here.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
31 Dec 2021 00:31 #240858 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen4 MPG calculation

I can't tell any difference at the moment between E5 and E10, it's a standard G3.
Since the day I have owned it I have recorded miles per tank fill, so my MPG average per year is as good as it gets without a computer.
What I have noticed is you can't compare one week to another, so many variables simply change the mpg figure. Even if you believe the use over a period is the same, it's not. Temperature, wind direction and that extra trip to the shops will impact your weekly MPG.
So only time will tell if E10 produces less MPG for me, but early indications are it's as expected and similar to E5.

I haven't noticed any performance drop using the seat of the pants measure, but my trip is now showing 32.0mpg, which is the lowest since owning the vehicle (2 years in Feb). For the same sort of use it had been around 33.1-33.2mpg previously. And the weather hasn't been any colder of late, so it would point to the E10 fuel, as that is the only difference to the vehicle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
31 Dec 2021 02:42 - 31 Dec 2021 02:49 #240860 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen4 MPG calculation
It's too early to confirm one way or the other for me if E10 is worth avoiding, I just don't see any MPG variations that are unexpected for my use at the moment.
I am not guessing. For every tank fill I record the miles  covered and the type of use, so I have a good idea of what range of mpg to expect for a certain type of use. It's the old fashioned way of doing what the trip computer now does, albeit with a lower sample rate.
I need to look at 12 months use before I can decide. Over my years of recording this data I consistently average near enough 35mpg over a 12 month period on E5, this appears to represent my typical use profile.
Just need to use E10 it a bit longer to get to the same comparison point.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 31 Dec 2021 02:49 by Scimike.

More
31 Dec 2021 09:27 #240864 by DrRobin
E10 is 4% less efficient, the air fuel ratio goes from 14.7:1 for standard fuel to 14.08:1 for E10, therefore on 33mpg you would expect to see about 1mpg less using E10.

E5 costs about 12% more than E5 so is unlikely to be worth it for fuel economy on its own. Perhaps the additives in E5 and if it is cleaner fuel can justify the extra cost?

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
31 Dec 2021 12:08 #240866 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen4 MPG calculation
Thanks. I had not seen any figures, just the bad press that's floating around. Explains why I can't see any difference, it's too small to see within my normal running variation. It should show later for me with more use and miles logged, but hopefully it's only going to be about 1mpg less if the math holds true.It's saving the planet? Don't get me started on that one, but is nice they spin things to give people hope 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
31 Dec 2021 12:08 #240867 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Gen4 MPG calculation

Here in the UK E5 is 95 RON, perhaps in other countries where E5 is a lower octane rating it’s worth it, but not here.

The lowest commonly available E5 is BP at 97ron.

www.bp.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/pro...tive-technology.html

More
31 Dec 2021 13:45 #240869 by DrRobin
Thanks Dan, I meant to say E10 is 95 RON.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
31 Dec 2021 15:06 #240872 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Gen4 MPG calculation
This time last year I didn't know anything about super unleaded, but as E10 will kill my chainsaws I had to learn quickly!

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds