BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Extended Warranty?

More
24 Dec 2021 20:45 - 24 Dec 2021 20:45 #240789 by Soeley
Extended Warranty? was created by Soeley
My Gen4 will be 3 years old on the 15 Jan 2022. I have just received a letter from Suzuki offering an extended warranty, they do 3 levels of cover:
Comprehensive = £242.87 p/a
Select = £210.06 p/a
Basic = £177.23 p/a

Any thoughts from people, is it worth it, is it a waste of money?

All thoughts/experience welcome.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2021 20:45 by Soeley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2021 21:06 - 24 Dec 2021 21:14 #240790 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Extended Warranty?
I would read the small print before you decide.

For example what exactly don't they cover?

They say engine, then specifically list injectors, what about the other sensors on the "engine" etc.
I like that the turbo and sunroof motor are covered 

Seriously ask to see a definite list of items that are covered / not covered. If they can't provide one then expect an argument when you try to claim, they will try to wriggle out if they can. No list is a big red flag to me, reason enough to walk away.

It could be worth it, but based on the reliability of the G3 probably not. Any new parts 100% specific to the G4? These are the unknowns, shared parts are tried and tested on the G3.

Just some ideas so you can decide.

Generally they are a money maker for the seller, they aren't expecting any problem so why should you? Alternatively put £250 in the bank each year, if it goes wrong use this cash to fix it. I will soon mount up.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 24 Dec 2021 21:14 by Scimike. Reason: I am sure this editor just adds random words, or Auto correct is taking over
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
24 Dec 2021 21:50 #240792 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Extended Warranty?
Thanks Scimike, some good pointers there. I presume the warranty list is generic Suzuki so probably covers the Kei Car version with the 600cc turbo? You would think they would tailor the list for each market.

I had thought I could just bank the money every month and not really notice it, so that could be a good option.

More
25 Dec 2021 10:08 #240797 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Extended Warranty?
Just remembered something else.

After the manufacturers warranty expires some extended warranties are provided by the dealer, they use third party insurance companies to provide the service. So this warranty may have nothing to do with Suzuki UK, it's another thing to check in the small print.

If that's the case you can get the same from companies such as warranty wise etc, this may give you the same at a cheaper cost.

Me - I put the cash in the bank and have a small fortune now ready for any eventualities, but early days you do run the risk of not having enough in the pot.

Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
26 Dec 2021 11:53 #240805 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Extended Warranty?
This is another way to try and convince you that your motor will fall to bits just after the warranty runs out.

DO NOT BE DECEIVED.

Suzuki produce a well thought out and well built motor that will outlast the warranty by many years

Anyway, a careful analysis of the small print will generally find an escape route for the cold hearted pencil pushers at head office. Save your loot and find a better use for it later on.

You know it makes sense.

Scrooge ( Bah humbug ).

More
26 Dec 2021 14:32 #240806 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Extended Warranty?
Generally, any insurance should cost the cost of the average risk plus some fee.

As a result, if financially, legally, … possible, it is always cheaper to not insure anything as long as you are in an average or below average risk group and/or you have the chance to repair at or below the cost that the insurer expects. And consequently Roger´s: “Save you loot and find a better use for it later on.” because the Jimny is a good car and also this forum helps to reduce repair cost.

For cars it is also possible, that an additional insurance is a kind of “bait” so that you also go to the dealer for service etc. so it could be that if you anyhow plan to make your services at Suzuki the Suzuki insurance is cheaper.

More
27 Dec 2021 14:03 #240814 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Extended Warranty?
Generally I am not in favour of extended warranties, they usually lock you to having the car serviced and if you know a bit about your vehicle servicing and repair costs will on average be lower than the warranty premiums.

They are great for people who know nothing about the vehicle, don’t do any maintenance outside the yearly service or generally don’t maintain their vehicle and therefore run a higher risk of something failing.

I would put the premium in a savings account, after 5 or 10 years it adds up to a reasonable amount and you can use it if something goes wrong.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Dec 2021 19:39 #240819 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Extended Warranty?
My Jimny is also 3 years old in January. Having run it for 3 years and discovered that it wasn't assembled by a militant extremist at 16.45 on a Friday afternoon - I'm going to roll the dice and gamble that a Suzuki Jimny won't self-destruct in the next 12 months. If it had been assembled in Solihull then I wouldn't keep it a day after the factory warranty expires.

Extended warranties are essential only if you buy fragile budget vehicles with a reputation for failing. One of the reasons KIA are successful is that they stand behind their products for a lot longer than many other marques.

More
27 Dec 2021 20:24 #240821 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Extended Warranty?
Thanks all for your input and thoughts. 

I have a small pot of money in a savings account that has not been touched for years so I think I will just start adding to that on a monthly basis as an emergency fund should it ever be required.

More
28 Dec 2021 10:15 #240823 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Extended Warranty?
As already mentioned, the Jimny is a well built vehicle and l've not seen a single thread about anything being faulty during the first three years, except for rattles and a couple of TPMS reset issues.

l doubt that the engine or turbo charger will give trouble, and likewise other systems on the vehicle. Put away some money if you are worried about it, and spend it on a holiday after a few years.

More
29 Dec 2021 10:25 #240833 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Extended Warranty?
I work in the motor trade in parts. IMHO i think an extended warranty on a regularly serviced Japanese car is a waste of money. When you get to the small print there are too many exceptions of non covered items. keep the money you would have spent to one side as a rainy day fund should anything go wrong.

More
31 Dec 2021 18:22 #240873 by Coco BT
Replied by Coco BT on topic Extended Warranty?
250 quid for the year? 
No brainer for me, I'd bite their hand off. I've been quoted up to £1500 pa on other marques
and it certainly helps should you wish to sell the vehicle on.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds